NAIA National Wrestler of the Week – No. 3
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Tanner Werner of Grand View (Iowa) has been named the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. He was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 11 – 17. This is the third of six weekly awards for the 2016 season.
National Wrestler of the Week
Tanner Werner, Grand View (Iowa)
157-pound, Sr., Waverly, Iowa
• Recorded a 5-0 record en route to the 157-pound title at the Missouri Valley Invitational in Marshall, Mo., Jan. 15 – 16.
• Pinned (2:44) then-No. 6 Jr. Lule of Concordia (Neb.) in the semifinals before sticking then-No. 9 Christian Hack of Indiana Tech in championship bout.
• He finished the tournament with three pins, one major decision and one technical fall.
• Earns his the first weekly award of his career.
• Werner is the second Grand View wrestler to claim National Wrestler of the Week this season.
For the complete NAIA Wrestler of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Tyler Fraley, Williams Baptist (Ark.); Stephen Wilbert, Warner Pacific (Ore.); Nate Westerby, Hastings (Neb.); Jr Lule, Concordia (Neb.); Steven Garcia, Morningside (Iowa); Riley Boomer, Missouri Valley; Colby Crank, Baker (Kan.); BJ Carman, St. Catharine (Ky.); Garrett Webb, Life (Ga.); Tyler Smith, Cumberland (Tenn.); Adrian Gaines, Oklahoma City; Travis Barroquillo, Indiana Tech.
2016 Wrestling Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Andrew Long, Grand View (Iowa)
Week 2 (Jan. 13): Andrew Schulte, Concordia (Neb.)
Week 3 (Jan. 20): Tanner Werner, Grand View (Iowa)