By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Mikayla Leyden of Saint Xavier (Ill.) was named the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Leyden was selected for her performance during the week of Jan. 18 – 24 and was selected out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Mikayla Leyden, Saint Xavier (Ill.)
5-8, Jr., Chicago, Ill.
• Averaged 21.0 points, 8.5 assists and 7.0 rebounds on the week to help the Cougars to a pair of top-15 wins, over then-No. 14 Cardinal Stritch (Wis.) and then-No. 7 Olivet Nazarene (Ill.).
• Tied a season-high with four made three-pointers in 74-40 win over Cardinal Stritch on Jan. 20.
• Recorded 26 points, eight rebounds, six assists and six steals in a 108-96 victory over Olivet Nazarene on Jan. 23.
• Ranks in the top 10 nationally in three offensive categories – No. 7 in total steals (60), No. 9 in total assists (107) and No. 15 in assists per game (4.6).
• She shot 57 percent (15-of-26 from the field, 35 percent (7-of-13) from the three-point line and a perfect 5-of-5 from the free throw line.
• This is her first-career national player of the week award and the first Cougar since Morgan Stuut won the award on Jan. 21, 2014.
For a complete list of all the Women’s Basketball Division II statistical leaders, click here.
For a complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Julie Whitfill, Brescia (Ky.) ; Megan Klein, Dickinson State (N.D.) ; Sarah Robinson, Milligan (Tenn.) ; Esther Wofford, Simpson (Calif.) ; Kylie Townsley, Spring Arbor (Mich.) ; Christina Henry, Lawrence Tech (MI) ; Supavadee Kunchuan, St. Thomas (Fla.) ; Alex Kneeland, Mount Marty (S.D.) ; Susan Ageson, Oklahoma Wesleyan ; Ashley Claussen, Southern Oregon.
2015-16 Division II Women's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (January 06): Abbey Hengesbach, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
Week 2 (January 13): Charnelle Reed, St. Francis (Ill.)
Week 3 (January 20): Deaundra Young, College of Saint Mary (Neb.)
Week 4 (January 26): Mikayla Leyden, Saint Xavier (Ill.)