NAIA Division I Menís Basketball Player of the Week Ė No. 5 (Feb. 2)
February 02, 2016
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jerell Ellis of Texas Wesleyan was named NAIA Division I Men’s Basketball National Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Sims was selected for his play during the week of Jan. 25 – 31 and was chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
NAIA Division I Men’s Basketball Player of the Week
Jerell Ellis, Texas Wesleyan
6-4, Sr., G, San Antonio, Texas
• Averaged 24.5 points, 3.0 rebounds, four assists and two steals to lead the Rams to a 2-0 week.
• Scored 25 points and recorded a season-high ten field goals made in a 91-71 win over then-No. 7 Mid-America Christian (Okla.) on Jan. 30.
• Logged 24 points and five assists in an 84-76 victory over then-No. 20 SAGU (Texas) on Jan. 28.
• Shot 50 percent (5-of-10) from behind the 3-point line and 80 percent (8-of-10) from the charity stripe.
• This is his first-career national player of the week award.
For a complete list of all the Men’s Basketball Division I statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Nominees: Joe Jackson, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Tony Kimbro, Georgetown (Ky.); Dexter Williams Jr., Montana Western; Kieston Standfield, Middle Georgia State; Mylin Jordan, Park (Mo.); Sedrick Johnson, Avila (Mo.); Jordan Washington, Talladega (Ala.); Darius Clement, William Jessup (Calif.).
2015-16 Division I Men's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (January 5): Xavielle Brown, Park (Mo.)
Week 2 (January 12): Corday Sims, Peru State (Neb.)
Week 3 (January 19): Xavielle Brown, Park (Mo.)
Week 4 (January 26): Shunquez Stephens, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.)
Week 5 (February 2): Jerell Ellis, Texas Wesleyan