By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Trana Hopkins of Xavier (La.) was named the NAIA Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Hopkins was selected for her performance during the week of Feb. 22-28 and was selected out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners. This is the final award of the 2016 season.
Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Trana Hopkins, Xavier (La.)
5-6, Sr., G, Marietta, Ga.
• Led the Gold Nuggets to a 2-0 week by averaging 24.0 points per game, 7.5 rebounds per game and four steals per game.
• The senior had a career day in a 78-68 win over Tougaloo (Miss.) on Feb. 22. Hopkins scored 34 points – the most by a Xavier player since 1998 – and made a school record-tying seven 3-point field goals.
• In that contest, she added career-highs in rebounds with eight and steals with five.
• The 34 points match the most by a Gulf Coast Athletic Conference (GCAC) player this season and the seven made 3-pointers are the most by a GCAC player in the past three seasons.
• She was named Louisiana Player of the Week by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association.
• Recorded 14 points, seven rebounds and three steals in a 63-57 victory over Dillard (La.) on Feb. 27.
• This is her first career national player of the week award.
For a complete list of all the Women’s Basketball Division II statistical leaders, click here.
For a complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Carina Jackson, Lyon (Ark.); Alyssa Ward, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Charity Page, SAGU (Texas); Kalin Williams, Brenau (Ga.); Deidra Mccoy, Missouri Valley; Martha Dembek, Montana Tech; Nicole Bowers, Cumberland (Tenn.); Bianca Cubello, The Master's (Calif.); Nijah Davis, Voorhees (S.C.); Brionna Missouri, Voorhees (S.C.)
2015-16 Division I Women's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (January 06): Sarai Rodriguez, Mid-America Christian (Okla.)
Week 2 (January 13): Aundrea Matchen, Pikeville (Ky.)
Week 3 (January 20): Lindsey Burd, Campbellsville (Ky.)
Week 4 (January 27): Melissa Norman, Vanguard (Calif.)
Week 5 (February 03): Kelli Tolar, Mid-America Christian (Okla.)
Week 6 (February 10): Ali Zieverink, Shawnee State (Ohio)
Week 7 (February 17): Megan Balcom, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
Week 8 (February 24): Aysia Shellmire, Westmont (Calif.)
Week 9 (March 02): Trana Hopkins, Xavier (La.)