2016 NAIA Baseball Players of the Week – No. 1 (March 22)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. - Michael Baca of Tabor (Kan.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Daniel Butler of Westmont (Calif.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. The second players of the week will be announced on March 29.
Baseball Player of the Week
Michael Baca, Tabor (Kan.)
5-11, Sr., SS, Amarillo, Texas
• Helped the 13th ranked Bluejays go 6-0, including a four game sweep over Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference rival Friends (Kan.).
• Baca went 15-for-26 (.577) at the plate including seven doubles and two home runs for the week.
• Recorded a week-high four RBI twice in a 14-1 win and a 10-3 win, both against Friends.
• He also tallied 10 runs scored, 12 RBI and one stolen base.
• This is his first career national player of the week award.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Daniel Butler, Westmont (Calif.)
6-6, Fr. P, Tree, Colo.
• Pitched a nine-inning no-hitter, facing the minimum 27 batters, the second no-hitter in Westmont history (March 7, 1977).
• Allowed one baserunner – first hitter was hit by a pitch and later erased on a double play.
• Recorded seven strikeouts in the no-no.
• In his last three starts, Butler has gone the distance each time, earning two wins and a no decision. Butler is 6-0 with an ERA of 1.45 in 62 innings this season.
• This is his first career national pitcher of the week award.
For the complete national player of the week award, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Austin Kuchinski, Central Baptist (Ark.); Erik Williams, Bluefield (Va.); Julio Rivera, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Mitch Skaggs, College of Idaho; Jordan Hayes, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Yanni Patten, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Jose Rojas, Vanguard (Calif.); Kaleb Geiger, Concordia (Neb.); Chris Mitchell, Tougaloo (Miss.); Alonso Ruz, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Kyler Timmerman, Georgia Gwinnett; Dallas Murphy III, Asbury (Ky.); Fabian Chirino, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Joe Demers, Valley City State (N.D.); Anthony Dejesus, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Jared Baker, Oklahoma City; Nick Cain, Faulkner (Ala.); Taylor Layner, Webber International (Fla.); Zack Byron, Madonna (Mich.)
Pitcher Nominees: Jake Van Vacter, Park (Mo.); Ryan Hartman, Tennessee Wesleyan; Tyler Sharp, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Jordan Wanner, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Blake Converset, Grace (Ind.); Quin Grogan, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Kiefer Musiel, Midland (Neb.); Ronald Russell, Jr., Tougaloo (Miss.); Tyler Bishop, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Grayson Weber, Fisher (Mass.); Anton Schrader, Bethany (Kan.); Brenden Wells, Asbury (Ky.); Nick Przybylek, Campbellsville (Ky.); Tanner Dahl, Jamestown (N.D.); Kevin Williams, LSU Shreveport (La.); Jordie Henry, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Garrett Waters, Mobile (Ala.); Steven Bruce, Keiser (Fla.); James McReynolds, Indiana Tech
2015-16 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 23): Daniel Butler, Westmont (Calif.) , Michael Baca, Tabor (Kan.)