2016 Women’s Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week – No. 1 (March 23)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jonina Brinson of Mobile (Ala.) has been named NAIA National Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week and Brianna Woods has been selected as the NAIA National Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Brinson and Woods were selected based on their performances from March 14-20.
Women’s Indoor Field Athlete of the Week:
Jonina Brinson, Mobile (Ala.)
So., Swainsboro, Ga.
• Finished first in the long jump and fourth in the triple jump at the Emory Invitational on March 18-19.
• Her long jump mark of 5.91-meters (19 feet 4 ¾ inches) currently ranks No. 1 on the NAIA leaderboard.
• Recorded a triple jump distance of 11.60-meters (38 feet ¾ inches), which is the third longest jump this season.
• Brinson hit the NAIA “A” standard and qualified for the 2016 NAIA Women’s Outdoor Track & Field National Championships in both events.
• This is her first career national field athlete of the week award.
Women’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Brianna Woods, Indiana Tech
Sr., Huber Heights, Ohio
• Recorded three top three finishes at the Wake Forest (N.C.) Open on March 18-19.
• Finished second in the 100-meter finals with a time of 11.61. That time is tops in the Association this season.
• Anchored the 4X100-meter relay team that finished third in 47.40, which is also the fastest time in the country.
• Qualified for the 2016 NAIA Women’s Outdoor Track & Field National Championships by hitting the “A” standard in both events.
• This is her first career outdoor track & field player of the week award.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: Jerosan Fletcher, Park (Mo.); Hannah Rutherford, William Woods (Mo.); Julia Blumkaitis, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Jayla Lane, Union (Ky.); Tiana Thomas, College of Idaho; Sierra Brown, Northwest Christian (Ore.); Cassidy Brown, Northwest (Wash.); Rachel Roelle, Eastern Oregon; Sarah McBeath, Indiana Wesleyan; Lateefah Birks, Marian (Ind.); Claudia Hewston, Great Falls (Mont.); Sasha Newman, Dillard (La.); Kayla Quincy, Xavier (La.); Kayla Dawkins, Central Methodist (Mo.); Ebony Davis, Point Park (Pa.); Elizabeth Skipper, Life (Ga.); Sarah Biehl, Shawnee State (Ohio); Ethel Ajanga, Wiley (Texas); Elena Oslund, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Maria Galarza, Texas Wesleyan; Olamide Sokunbi, Brenau (Ga.); Jonina Brinson, Mobile (Ala.); Brittany Starling, Florida Memorial; Megan Fitzgerald, Southeastern (Fla.); Josefine Malmborg, Keiser (Fla.)
Field Nominees: Madelyn Scrivner, William Woods (Mo.); Aliyah Brown, Park (Mo.); Darneshia McCray, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Molly Diamon, Union (Ky.); Liz Ayers, Eastern Oregon; Sarah Taylor, Corban (Ore.); Haley White, Taylor (Ind.); Taylor Statton, Great Falls (Mont.); Clarke Allen, Xavier (La.); Christina Schatz, Central Methodist (Mo.); Kiana Daley, Point Park (Pa.); Bria Sands, Life (Ga.); Eunique Byrd, Florida Memorial; Ayanna Moody, Indiana Tech
2015-16 Women's Outdoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (March 23): Jonina Brinson, Mobile (Ala.) , Brianna Woods, Indiana Tech