By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Chiara Di Salvo of Georgia Gwinnett has been named the NAIA National Women's Tennis Player of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. She was selected based on her performances from March 21 – 27 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Tennis Player of the Week
Chiara Di Salvo, Georgia Gwinnett
Jr., Cordoba, Argentina
• Helped the Grizzlies clinch an upset win over 2015 NCAA Division III national champions and top-ranked Williams (Mass.), sweeping the number five singles spot (6-0, 6-0).
• Won her doubles match with partner Alyona Vasileva against Williams, 8-5.
• Undefeated on the season in doubles with partner Vasileva (10-0).
• Owns an 8-1 record in singles play this season.
• This is her first career player of the week honor.
Nominees: Alba Salinas, William Woods (Mo.); Michelle Tulchinskaya, St. Louis Pharmacy (Mo.); Martha Wells, Milligan (Tenn.); Viktoria Monakhova, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Gabriela Demchenko, St. Francis (Ill.); Quincy Banini, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Morgan Meyer, Doane (Neb.); Sha'Nel Bruins , Xavier (La.); Lilian Blasque, Missouri Valley; Jennifer Luedtke, Ottawa (Kan.); Djurdjina Vrhovac, Kansas Wesleyan; Maria Prados, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Isabella Dale, Cumberlands (Ky.); Amanda Moore, Georgetown (Ky.); Majella Nobile, Campbellsville (Ky.); Mariah Plauth, Mobile (Ala.); Celine Lenertz, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Lorena Jemenez, William Carey (Miss.); Ana Pinto, Keiser (Fla.); Cassandra Lemieux, St. Thomas (Fla.)
2015-16 Women's Tennis Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 23): Naomi Maehama, St. Thomas (Fla.)
Week 2 (March 30): Chiara Di Salvo, Georgia Gwinnett