By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Alex Schie of Texas Wesleyan has been named the NAIA National Women’s Golfer of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Gibson was selected based on her performances from March 21 – 27 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Golfer of the Week
Alex Schie, Texas Wesleyan
So., Mansfield, Texas
• Shot a school record of 5-under par in the first round of the Embry-Riddle (Fla.) Eagle Invitational at Daytona Beach, Fla. March 20.
• Took a mere 68 shots on the 6,076-yard LPGA International course.
• Second round of 80 was the second-best score of the day, earning her third career win with a 36-hole total of 148.
• Finished first out of 48 individual golfer and helped team to a second-place finished.
• This is her first career player of the week honor.
Nominees: Paula Vega, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Jenna Dawn, Point (Ga.); Trae Jones, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Heidi Froelich, Oregon Tech; Casey Jansen, Corban (Ore.); Darrah Holder, Marian (Ind.); Annika Harmon, Indiana Wesleyan; Lucy Clark, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Marisa Pribnow, Peru State (Neb.); Maria Mantilla, Grand View (Iowa); Cassidy Scantland, Campbellsville (Ky.); Kaitlyn Riley, Cumberlands (Ky.); Wendy Monfort, Bellevue (Neb.); Fernanda Valdes, Waldorf (Iowa); Anna Mikish, Oklahoma City; Natalia Ugalde, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Kennedy Windlan, William Carey (Miss.); Julchen Narwark, Loyola (La.); Elsa Westin, Keiser (Fla.); Kayla Connors, Southeastern (Fla.); Courtney Dye, Indiana Tech; Rebekah Rader, Northwestern Ohio
2015-16 Women's Golf Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 23): Cassidy Gibson, Milligan (Tenn.)
Week 2 (March 30): Alex Schie, Texas Wesleyan