By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Amy Blucker of Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) has been named NAIA National Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week and Natali Engle of Friends (Kan.) has been selected as the NAIA National Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Blucker and Engle were selected based on their performances from March 21-27 and were chosen out of a pool of conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week:
Amy Blucker, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
Sr., Galesburg, Ill.
• Finished first, second and tenth in three events at the Polar Bear Invitational, hosted by Indiana Wesleyan in Marion, Ind., on March 24.
• Placed first in the shot out with a mark of 13.86 meters (45 feet, 5 ¾ inches) and second-place – behind Marie Lumpkin of NCAA Division I Ball State (Ind.) - in the hammer throw with a distance of 51.77-meters (169 feet 10 inches).
• Both throws are currently ranked first in the NAIA.
• Qualified for the NAIA Women’s Outdoor Track & Field National Championships in both events by hitting the “A” standard.
• This is her third career national field athlete of the week award – April 8, 2015 and April 16, 2014.
Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Natali Engle, Friends (Kan.)
So., Goddard, Kan.
• Placed first in all four events at the Friends Spring Open on March 25.
• Ran the 100 meters in a time of 11.97, which is tops in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC) and is No. 5 in the NAIA.
• Broke the school record in the 200-meter run with a time of 24.32, the fastest time in the KCAC and NAIA this season.
• Anchored the 4X100-meter relay team that took first-place with a time of 48.03 (No. 4 in the NAIA).
• Ran the last leg of the 4X400 meter relay team that finished first with a time of 4:00.78 (No. 6 in the NAIA).
• Anchored the 4X400-meter relay team that took first with a time of 4:00.78 (No. 6 in the NAIA).
• Qualified for the NAIA Women’s Outdoor Track & Field National Championships in all four events.
• This is her first career outdoor track & field athlete of the week award.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: Hannah Segrave, Milligan (Tenn.); Jayla Lane, Union (Ky.); Cecilee Russell, Corban (Ore.); Rachel Blagg, Taylor (Ind.); Bethany Bogantz, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Lateefah Birks, Marian (Ind.); Mycah Ridder, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Sarah McBeath, Indiana Wesleyan; Ariel Jensen, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Kayla Quincy, Xavier (La.); Sasha Newman, Dillard (La.); Katie Roberts, Grand View (Iowa); Guadalupe Gonzalez, William Penn (Iowa); Sarah Korpach, British Columbia; Madison Przicina, Point Park (Pa.); Alisha Hollinger, Indiana East; Shaelyn Waller, St. Catharine (Ky.); Sarah Biehl, Shawnee State (Ohio); Alexia DeHaven-Boyd, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Elizabeth Olive, Cumberlands (Ky.); Jaichelle Thomas, Life (Ga.); Candice Higgins, Wiley (Texas); Elena Oslund, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Monique McPherson, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Oraine Wint, Texas Wesleyan; Destiny Garza, SAGU (Texas); Jonina Brinson, Mobile (Ala.); Morgan Creswell, Brenau (Ga.); Caroline Cook, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Betsy Douglas, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Josefine Malmborg, Keiser (Fla.)
Field Nominees: Aliyah Brown, Park (Mo.); Tamia Wade, Union (Ky.); Lindsay Asplund, Corban (Ore.); Bethany Kuenzer, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Kaitlyn Moricz, Marian (Ind.); Haley White, Taylor (Ind.); Bethany Bailey, Indiana Wesleyan; Sierra Rice, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Clarke Allen, Xavier (La.); Danielle Glover, Dillard (La.); Taylor Wells, Grand View (Iowa); Meaghan Foster, William Penn (Iowa); Ashley Riniker, Baker (Kan.); Robyn See, Sterling (Kan.); Aubree Young, Friends (Kan.); Trisha Spivey, Indiana East; Kiana Daley, Point Park (Pa.); Courtney Rhodes, Cumberlands (Ky.); Bria Sands, Life (Ga.); Kimberley Stevens, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Shaelyn Waller, St. Catharine (Ky.); Seri Geisler, Valley City State (N.D.); Abby Buehler, Waldorf (Iowa); Janaa Evans, Langston (Okla.); Nina Sato, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Ongelic Hill, Texas Wesleyan; Jonina Brinson, Mobile (Ala.); Paris Lawrence, Indiana Tech
2015-16 Women's Outdoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (March 23): Jonina Brinson, Mobile (Ala.) , Brianna Woods, Indiana Tech
Week 2 (March 30): Amy Blucker, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) , Natali Engle, Friends (Kan.)