2016 NAIA Softball Players of the Week – No. 3 (April 5)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kyra Parker of Evangel (Mo.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Alex Vargas of Dickinson State (N.D.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Parker and Vargas were selected based on their performances from March 28 – April 3, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, Association on Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated group winners. This is the second NAIA National Softball weekly award.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Kyra Parker, Evangel (Mo.)
Jr., P, Webb City, Mo.
• Went 3-0 in three starts on the week, winning each game by a shutout.
• Pitched 21 scoreless innings against Williams Baptist (Ark.), Central Baptist (Ark.) and Baker (Kan.), with 17 strikeouts and no walks.
• Has not allowed a run in her last four games (25 innings).
• Has won nine-consecutive starts dating back to March 5.
• Ranked No. 31 in innings pitched per game (6.071), and No. 36 in opponent batting average (.206) and hits allowed per nine (5.35).
• This is her first career pitcher of the week honor.
Softball Player of the Week
Alex Vargas, Dickinson State (N.D.)
Sr., 2nd base, Corona, Calif.
• Led the Blue Hawks to a 7-1 record on the week en route to a 24-7 mark overall.
• Finished the week with 11 RBI, four home runs, four doubles and 10 runs scored.
• Hit .643 on the week, bringing her season batting average up to .471.
• Averaging 3.5 at bats, 2.3 hits, 1.3 runs and 1.4 RBIs with two home runs in a doubleheader against Presentation (S.D.).
• Ranks nationally in 13 statistical categories, including No. 4 in total bases per game (3.1), total bases (97) and slugging percentage (.951).
• This is her first player of the week honor.
For more information on NAIA softball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Britanee Willard, Park (Mo.); Natalie Sheffey, Milligan (Tenn.); Britney Martinez, La Sierra (Calif.); Ali Graham, Oregon Tech; Kristy Santora, Roosevelt (Ill.); Kelsey Meyers, Indiana Wesleyan; Alaina Morgan, Menlo (Calif.); Sam Valadez, Doane (Neb.); Courtney Parker, Benedictine (Kan.); Brashante Dareus, Georgia Gwinnett; Jordan Blakesley, Bethany (Kan.); Gabby Gregg, Rio Grande (Ohio); Amber Foukes, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Lauren Von Boeckmann, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Samantha Plott, St. Gregory's (Okla.); Amy Persinger, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Taylor Stoltz, Southeastern (Fla.); Kelsie Abbott, Siena Heights (Mich.)
Pitcher Nominees: Allie Reynolds, Park (Mo.); Taylor Nix, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Sarai Camacho, La Sierra (Calif.); Sydney White, Southern Oregon; Nicole Nonnemacher, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Emily Puterbaugh, Huntington (Ind.); Alexandra Olvera, Vanguard (Calif.); Ellie Doughty, Doane (Neb.); Chelsi Palazzo, Georgia Gwinnett; Tiffany Dennison, Bethany (Kan.); Jenna Jones, Rio Grande (Ohio); Victoria Decker, Campbellsville (Ky.); Kelli Fisher, Bellevue (Neb.); Savannah Crittenden, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Georgia Wall, Oklahoma City; Brittany Bishop, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Lindsie Scholwinski, Southeastern (Fla.); Kelsie Abbott, Siena Heights (Mich.)
2015-16 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 23): Victoria Decker, Campbellsville (Ky.) , Ariel Roder, Rio Grande (Ohio)
Week 2 (March 30): Jenna Daniel, Oklahoma Wesleyan , Tara Moates, Oregon Tech
Week 3 (April 06): Kyra Parker, Evangel (Mo.) , Alex Vargas, Dickinson State (N.D.)