By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Culver Plant of Missouri Baptist has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Jordan Watson of Science & Arts (Okla.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Plant and Watson were selected based on their performances from March 28- April 3 and were selected from a pool of conference/Association of Independent Institutions award winners. The fourth players of the week will be announced on April 12.
Baseball Player of the Week
Culver Plant, Missouri Baptist
6-3, Jr., SS, Maryland Heights, Mo.
• Hit .625 (10-for-16) on the week with six runs scored, three doubles and a triple.
• Led the Spartans to a 4-0 week by driving in ten runs and going a perfect 4-for-4 in stolen bases.
• Slugged 1.000 in the four games, three of which were against (RV) Central Baptist (Ark.).
• Plant entered the week hitting .325, but after the four games, his average is up to .374.
• This is his first career national player of the week award.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Jordan Watson, Science & Arts (Okla.)
6-0, Jr., Huntington Beach, Calif.
• Struck out a season-high 13 batters in a 5-1 win over then-No. 13 Oklahoma City on March 31.
• Gave up one run (unearned) in the complete game, nine-inning effort against the Stars.
• Watson owns a 4-2 record on the season and ranks No. 5 in the NAIA in opponent batting average (0.159) and hits allowed per nine innings (5.01).
• Leads the Sooner Athletic Conference in strikeouts with 89 in 55 innings - an average of 14.4 strikeouts per nine innings pitched.
• This is his first career national pitcher of the week award.
For the complete national player of the week award, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Ron Healy, Union (Ky.); Matt Zurita, La Sierra (Calif.); Bryan Klendworth, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Adam Roser, Huntington (Ind.); Jacob Zanon, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Matt Harris, Vanguard (Calif.); Dylan Steyer, Midland (Neb.); Miguel Beltre, Edward Waters (Fla.); Kyle Simmons, Avila (Mo.); Zac Rinehart, Georgia Gwinnett; Daniel Blanco-Perez, Bethany (Kan.); Chris Ford, Rio Grande (Ohio); Ryan Dickison, Cumberland (Tenn.); Joe Moran, Bellevue (Neb.); Logan Constantine, LSU Alexandria; Gregg Veneklasen, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Adrian Brown, William Carey (Miss.); Thomas Estopare, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Brian Sobieski, Davenport (Mich.)
Pitcher Nominees: Jake Van Vacter, Park (Mo.); Matt Hamons, Union (Ky.); Ayrton Costa, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Nate Peterson, Judson (Ill.); Brock Gower, Huntington (Ind.); Peter Irvin, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Conner Menez, The Master's (Calif.); Kiefer Musiel, Midland (Neb.); Brent Huber, Edward Waters (Fla.); Eric Winter, Grand View (Iowa); Davis Adkins, Georgia Gwinnett; Alex Martinez, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Zach Harvey, Rio Grande (Ohio); Nick Przybylek, Campbellsville (Ky.); Sebastian Frutos, Viterbo (Wis.); Adam Burke, Southwest (N.M.); Lane Fazende, William Carey (Miss.); John Gora, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Johno Rodriguez, Madonna (Mich.)
2015-16 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 23): Daniel Butler, Westmont (Calif.) , Michael Baca, Tabor (Kan.)
Week 2 (March 30): Steven Ellis, Houston-Victoria (Texas) , Wardy Polanco, Tennessee Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 06): Jordan Watson, Science & Arts (Okla.) , Culver Plant, Missouri Baptist