2016 NAIA Softball Players of the Week – No. 4 (April 12)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Nicole Nonnemacher of Saint Xavier (Ill.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Ashli Hafford of St. Gregory’s (Okla.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Nonnemacher and Hafford were selected based on their performances from April 4 - 10, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, Association on Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners. This is the fourth NAIA National Softball weekly award.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Nicole Nonnemacher, Saint Xavier, Ill.
Sr., P, Bloomington, Ill.
• Struck out 22 batters in first game of double-header against St. Ambrose (Iowa) and logged 20 in the second game.
• Became first pitcher in NAIA softball history to retired 20 batters via strikeout in multiple games.
• Became Saint Xavier’s all-time wins leader (86), surpassing her sister’s mark of 85 in 2011-14.
• Helped her team to a win against NCAA Division II St. Joseph’s (Ind.) (5-3), pitching seven innings, while allowing six hits and three runs with 14 strikeouts.
• On the week, tallied 56 strikeouts in 26 total innings pitched and an ERA of 1.08.
• Holds national rankings in 11 statistical categories including, No. 1 in fielding percentage (1.0), No. 2 in opponent batting average (0.112) and No. 2 hits allowed per nine (2.63).
• This is her third career pitcher of the week honor.
Softball Player of the Week
Ashli Hafford, St. Gregory’s, Okla.
So., First Base, Blanchard, Okla.
• Belted five home runs on the week with 14 RBI, helping her team to an 8-0 week.
• Hitting a batting average of .556 and slugging of 1.444.
• Accounted for 26 total bases on the week.
• Leads the Sooner Athletic Conference with a .505 batting average.
• Holds national rankings in 11 statistical categories including, No. 3 in runs batted in per game (1.441), No. 3 in home runs (12) and slugging percentage (.943) and No. 4 in home runs per game (.353).
• This is her first career player of the week honor.
For more information on NAIA softball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Katie Heaton, Stephens (Mo.); Danielle Borum, Union (Ky.); Anna Boffeli, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Player Nominees: Olivia Denslow, Columbia (Mo.); Randi Wimpy, Reinhardt (Ga.); Chelsea Phillips, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Taylor Eilders, Corban (Ore.); Brianna Tennyson, Judson (Ill.); Alyssa Hiple, Huntington (Ind.); Areana Ramos, Biola (Calif.); Rachel Koch, Morningside (Iowa); Avery Johnson, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Alycia Fields, Georgia Gwinnett; Olivia Silvey, Saint Mary (Kan.); Sydney Seger, Indiana Southeast; Sandy Young, Georgetown (Ky.); Emily Gigax, Bellevue (Neb.); Savannah Crittenden, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Ashley Sprayberry, Mobile (Ala.); Anna Martin, Southeastern (Fla.); Macey Harder, Northwestern Ohio
Pitcher Nominees: Paxton Welch, Columbia (Mo.); Maddie Szalewski, Reinhardt (Ga.); Tabitha Bayers, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Emily Puterbaugh, Huntington (Ind.); Tess Eaton, Carroll (Mont.); Jessie Salsbury, Menlo (Calif.); Aubrey Voboril, Morningside (Iowa); Tori Aziere, Avila (Mo.); Ashley Beyke, Georgia Gwinnett; Logan Davis, Friends (Kan.); Jenna Jones, Rio Grande (Ohio); Jessica Claxton, Georgetown (Ky.); Kelli Fisher, Bellevue (Neb.); Marci West, LSU Alexandria; Abby Meador, Oklahoma City; Jessica Rathje, Brenau (Ga.); Erika Bellinger, Webber International (Fla.); Gina Verduzco, Michigan-Dearborn
2015-16 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 23): Victoria Decker, Campbellsville (Ky.) , Ariel Roder, Rio Grande (Ohio)
Week 2 (March 30): Jenna Daniel, Oklahoma Wesleyan , Tara Moates, Oregon Tech
Week 3 (April 06): Kyra Parker, Evangel (Mo.) , Alex Vargas, Dickinson State (N.D.)
Week 4 (April 13): Nicole Nonnemacher, Saint Xavier (Ill.) , Ashli Hafford, St. Gregory's (Okla.)