By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Carlisa Russell of Wayland Baptist (Texas) has been named NAIA National Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week and Tameca Wallace of Doane (Neb.) has been selected as the NAIA National Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Russell and Wallace were selected based on their performances from April 4-10 and were chosen out of a pool of conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Women’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Carlisa Russell, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
• Recorded four top-3 finishes at the West Texas A&M Classic & Multis in Canyon, Texas, on April 8-9.
• Finished first and turned in the NAIA’s second fastest time (1:01.72) in the 400-meter hurdles.
• Logged a second-place finish in the 4X400-meter relay, as the Pioneers finished with a time of 3:58.35.
• Registered the NAIA’s eighth fastest mark in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.73, en route to a second-place finish.
• Added a third-place finish in the 4X100-meter relay with a time of 46.51.
• Qualified for the NAIA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships by hitting the “A” standard in the 400-meter hurdles and 4X100-meter relay, and hitting the NAIA “B” standard in the 100-meter hurdles.
• This is her first career national outdoor track athlete of the week award.
Women’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week:
Tameca Wallace, Doane (Neb.)
Jr., Mandeville, Jamaica
• Finished first in her only event at the Concordia (Neb.) Outdoor Invite on April 9 in Seward, Neb.
• Her triple jump mark of 12.05 meters (39 feet, 6.5 inches) is tops in the NAIA by more than five inches.
• Wallace hit the mark on her final jump of the prelims and was able to pass each of her attempts in the finals to remain in the lead.
• Qualified for the NAIA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships by hitting the “A” standard in the triple jump.
• This is her first career national outdoor field athlete of the week award.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: Molly Josephs, Missouri Baptist; Jerosan Fletcher, Park (Mo.); Alexandria Johnson, Tennessee Wesleyan; Jayla Lane, Union (Ky.); Irene Moore, Evergreen (Wash.); Katie Emerson, Eastern Oregon; Ariel Jensen, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Claudia Hewston, Great Falls (Mont.); Kim Wood, Concordia (Neb.); Marissa DeWispelare, Doane (Neb.); Katie Krick, Nebraska Wesleyan; Payton Boer, Morningside (Iowa); Janelle Bethea, Hastings (Neb.); Maliya Vaughan , Xavier (La.); Jenna Rangel, Avila (Mo.); Kaitlyn Emig, Central Methodist (Mo.); Hannah Wondra, Benedictine (Kan.); Dorothy Adams, Missouri Valley; Kennedy King, Grand View (Iowa); Dana Ewan, Mount Mercy (Iowa); Natalia Hawthorn, British Columbia; Natali Engle, Friends (Kan.); Rea Samuels, McPherson (Kan.); Tyanna Petty, Rio Grande (Ohio); Ashli Pope, Cumberlands (Ky.); Sarah Biehl, Shawnee State (Ohio); Alexia DeHaven-Boyd, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Mallory Vest, Campbellsville (Ky.); Kayla King, Viterbo (Wis.); Abby Honeyman, Dickinson State (N.D.); Lauren Sokolowski, Dakota State (S.D.); Rachel Heuchert, Jamestown (N.D.); Elena Oslund, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Terrisa Mark, Wiley (Texas); Katrina Weir, Southwest (N.M.); Maria Galarza, Texas Wesleyan; Jonina Brinson, Mobile (Ala.); Deishane' Honeycutt, Brenau (Ga.); Betsy Douglas, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Josefine Malmborg, Keiser (Fla.); Kaley Schmick, Warner (Fla.); Brittany Starling , Florida Memorial; Cathy Coryell, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Field Nominees: Aliyah Brown, Park (Mo.); Morgan Dermody, St. Louis Pharmacy (Mo.); Rachel Lawhorn, Tennessee Wesleyan; Madeleine Nelson, Northwest Christian (Ore.); Crystal Lynch, Corban (Ore.); Talitha Fagen, Eastern Oregon; Daphne Puckett, Great Falls (Mont.); Olivia Kana, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Emily Keim, Morningside (Iowa); Kali Robb, Concordia (Neb.); Drew Chatters, Xavier (La.); Taylor Wells, Grand View (Iowa); Christina Schatz, Central Methodist (Mo.); Preston Kopp, Clarke (Iowa); Chelsea Baker, Friends (Kan.); Bryanna Music, Ottawa (Kan.); Carrie Coriell, Rio Grande (Ohio); Courtney Rhodes, Cumberlands (Ky.); Chanel Roberts, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Bria Sands, Life (Ga.); Lindsey Burd, Campbellsville (Ky.); Seri Geisler, Valley City State (N.D.); Whitney Leuenberger, Dickinson State (N.D.); Samantha Reilly, Viterbo (Wis.); Emerald Gyuricza, Jamestown (N.D.); Krystal Ochulo, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Janaa Evans, Langston (Okla.); Tiona Owens, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Aubrey Fearnow, Brenau (Ga.); Jonina Brinson, Mobile (Ala.); Hunter Dye, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Dallas Tennessee, Indiana Tech
2015-16 Women's Outdoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (March 23): Jonina Brinson, Mobile (Ala.) , Brianna Woods, Indiana Tech
Week 2 (March 30): Amy Blucker, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) , Natali Engle, Friends (Kan.)
Week 3 (April 06): Stephanie Coley, Concordia (Neb.) , Brianna Woods, Indiana Tech
Week 4 (April 13): Tameca Wallace, Doane (Neb.) , Carlisa Russell, Wayland Baptist (Texas)