2016 Menís Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week Ė No. 4 (April 13)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Alain Dixon of Indiana Tech has been selected as the NAIA National Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week and Robert Iron Shell has been named NAIA National Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Dixon and Iron Shell were selected based on their performances from April 4-10 and were chosen out of a pool of conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week:
Alain Dixon, Indiana Tech
Jr., Oswego, Ill.
• Finished first in the long jump and triple jump at the Indiana Tech Spring Indoor Meet on April 9.
• Recorded a mark of 7.69 meters (25 feet, 2.75 inches) in the long jump, which is the top distance in the NAIA. Additionally, it broke his own school record of 7.42 meters (24 feet, 4.25 inches), which he set at the 2015 National Championships.
• In the triple jump, Dixon captured first with a distance of 14.21 meters (46 feet, 7.5 inches).
• Qualified for the NAIA Outdoor Track & Field National Championships by hitting the “A” standard in the long jump.
• This is his first career national outdoor field athlete of the week award.
Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Robert Iron Shell, Briar Cliff (Iowa)
Jr., LeMars, Iowa
• Finished first in the 200-meter run, 400-meter run and 4X100-meter run at the Dordt (Iowa) Invitational 2016 on April 9.
• Crossed the line in 21.51 seconds in the 200-meter to hit the NAIA “B” standard. He was 0.05 seconds short of his NAIA “A” standard time of 21.46 seconds that he set last week.
• Recorded a time of 49.42 seconds in the 400-meter run, which is .92 seconds off the NAIA “B” standard of 48.50 seconds.
• He is ranked first in the Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) in the 200-meter and 400-meter, and is ranked 11th in the NAIA in the 200-meter run.
• This is his first career national outdoor track athlete of the week award.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: Christian Herring , Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Tremaine Bobo, Missouri Baptist; Marquel Harris, Park (Mo.); Chaz Hawkins, Tennessee Wesleyan; Andrew Slaton, Union (Ky.); Jared Hixon, Southern Oregon; Seth Gretz, Oregon Tech; Jonathan Ferguson, Northwest (Wash.); Matthew Kirkendall, Eastern Oregon; Alvin Best, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Jace Kalbfleisch, Great Falls (Mont.); Tomislav Smith, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Craig Elliott, William Jessup (Calif.); Cj Muller, Concordia (Neb.); Kyle Hiser, Morningside (Iowa); Christopher August, Xavier (La.); Will Wallace, Benedictine (Kan.); Doug Hutcherson, Central Methodist (Mo.); Neiman Thompson, William Penn (Iowa); Rhett Gainey, Grand View (Iowa); Phillip Cheruiyot, Missouri Valley; Evan Bowman, Mount Mercy (Iowa); John Gay, British Columbia; Juante Baldwin, Friends (Kan.); Garrett Young, Kansas Wesleyan; Hunter Sury, McPherson (Kan.); Luke Jobson, WVU Tech; Nikola Andjelic, Rio Grande (Ohio); Kevin Hallmon, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Paxton Wiley, Campbellsville (Ky.); Nathan Hepburn, Cumberlands (Ky.); Matt Matel, Viterbo (Wis.); Cain Boschee, Dickinson State (N.D.); Malik Jackson, Valley City State (N.D.); Seth Boomsma, Dakota State (S.D.); Oraine Palmer, Wiley (Texas); Luis Ramirez, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Gilbert Ramirez, Southwest (N.M.); Tre Hinds, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Daron Hooks, Mobile (Ala.); Tobias Durham, Warner (Fla.); Nic O'Neill, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Jacob Towne, Aquinas (Mich.)
Field Nominees: Shingai Kusena , Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Steven Hill, Park (Mo.); Justin Zachary, Reinhardt (Ga.); Chris Anderson, Tennessee Wesleyan; Tyson Yett, Union (Ky.); Tylor King, Southern Oregon; Pancho Saldana, Eastern Oregon; Christian Hackney, Northwest Christian (Ore.); Elisha DeRamus, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Kenan Swihart, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Clint Rider, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Ben Hammer, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Josh Slechta, Concordia (Neb.); Adam Drieling, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Kevin Nelson, Hastings (Neb.); Devin Thomas, Morningside (Iowa); Derek Seddon, William Penn (Iowa); Nate Johnston, Grand View (Iowa); Brandt Wolters, McPherson (Kan.); Trey Bellows, Friends (Kan.); Alex Presley, Rio Grande (Ohio); Desmond Mobley, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Aaron Johnson, Campbellsville (Ky.); Ricky Lee, Cumberlands (Ky.); Beau Ackerman, Dickinson State (N.D.); Keegan Bludworth, Viterbo (Wis.); Andrew Hanretty, Valley City State (N.D.); Austin Opdahl, Dakota State (S.D.); Frankie Martinez, Southwest (N.M.); Dontayveous Allen, Jarvis Christian (Texas); Machael Mark, Wiley (Texas); Maurice Davis, Mobile (Ala.); Antonio Gilmer, William Carey (Miss.); Corion Knight, Florida Memorial; Josh Roper, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Devin Williams, Keiser (Fla.)
2015-16 Men's Outdoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (March 23): Eric England, Eastern Oregon , John Broaden, Indiana Tech
Week 2 (March 30): Jacob Armbrust, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) , Sam Atkin, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)
Week 3 (April 06): Zeb Hoffman, Evergreen (Wash.) , Dante Johnson, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 4 (April 13): Alain Dixon, Indiana Tech , Robert Ironshell, Briar Cliff (Iowa)