2016 NAIA Baseball Players of the Week – No. 6 (April 26)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Ian Barker of Dakota State (S.D.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Alex Webb of British Columbia has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Barker and Webb were selected based on their performances from April 18 - 24 and were chosen from a pool of conference/Association of Independent Institutions award winners. The final players of the week will be announced on May 3.
Baseball Player of the Week
Ian Barker, Dakota State (S.D.)
6-2, Sr., OF, Independence, Mont.
• Hit .600 (12-for-20) on the week with eight runs scored, six home runs, two doubles and a triple to lead the Trojans to a 4-1 week.
• Recorded at least one hit, one homerun and one RBI in four-of-five games.
• Had a slugging percentage of 1.700.
• Achieved a three hit, five RBI and two home run performance in a 5-2 win against Mount Marty (S.D.) on April 19.
• Ranks fifth in the NAIA in slugging percentage (0.818).
• This is his first career national player of the week award.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Alex Webb, British Columbia
6-3, Sr., P., Surrey, B.C.
• Helped lead the Thunderbirds to a 2-0 win over College of Idaho on April 23.
• In the win, Webb tossed a complete-game, four-hit shutout.
• Recorded 13 strikeouts and did not surrender a walk.
• Improves his record to 9-1 on the season and tallied his third complete-game shutout of the season.
• Now owns an earned run average of 1.36.
• Ranks in the top ten in the NAIA in five categories – No. 2 in total innings pitched (99.1), No. 3 in opponent batting average (0.154), No. 4 in hits allowed per nine innings (4.80), No. 8 in wins (9) and No. 8 in earned run average (1.36).
• This is his first career national pitcher of the week award.
For the complete national player of the week award, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Culver Plant, Missouri Baptist; Tyler Radcliff, St. Andrews (N.C.); Julio Rivera, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Jon Debowey, Trinity International (Ill.); Preston Carr, Goshen (Ind.); Micah Brown, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Nick Covello, The Master's (Calif.); Cole Gray, Midland (Neb.); Jordan Pontious, Edward Waters (Fla.); Jordan Eckley, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Zac Rinehart, Georgia Gwinnett; Manny Deleon, Tabor (Kan.); Jake Horew, Point Park (Pa.); Hector Viera, Cumberland (Tenn.); Jared Vial, LSU Shreveport (La.); James Ziegler, Texas Wesleyan; Gadier Charriez, Bethel (Tenn.); Cesar Ramirez, St. Thomas (Fla.); John Lauro, Madonna (Mich.)
Pitcher Nominees: Patrick Boyle, Missouri Baptist; Brett Ayer, St. Andrews (N.C.); Brian Cuiriz, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Charlie Ludolph, St. Francis (Ill.); Luke Hunter, Taylor (Ind.); Sean Isaac, Vanguard (Calif.); Cody Selig, Morningside (Iowa); Travis Coleman, Edward Waters (Fla.); Phillipe Graham, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Davis Adkins, Georgia Gwinnett; Anton Schrader, Bethany (Kan.); Jason Kim, Point Park (Pa.); Scott Sebald, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Tanner Dahl, Jamestown (N.D.); Adam Hines, LSU Alexandria; Mark Simon, Oklahoma City; Mark Vasquez, Faulkner (Ala.); Alex Viera, St. Thomas (Fla.); Jon Bobea, Northwestern Ohio
2015-16 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 23): Daniel Butler, Westmont (Calif.) , Michael Baca, Tabor (Kan.)
Week 2 (March 30): Steven Ellis, Houston-Victoria (Texas) , Wardy Polanco, Tennessee Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 06): Jordan Watson, Science & Arts (Okla.) , Culver Plant, Missouri Baptist
Week 4 (April 13): Tyler Tognarine, Lyon (Ark.) , Logan Coughlin, Indiana Southeast
Week 5 (April 20): Ian Zimmerman, Robert Morris (Ill.) , Michael Johnson, York (Neb.)
Week 6 (April 27): Alex Webb, British Columbia , Ian Barker, Dakota State (S.D.)