By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Alex Springer of Indiana Wesleyan has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week and Alex Watson of Dickinson State (S.D.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Springer and Watson were selected based on their performances from April 18 - 24, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners. The final national awards will be announced on May 3.
Softball Player of the Week
Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan
5-9, So., DH, Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Went 17-for-41 (0.415 batting average) in a 6-4 week for the Wildcats.
• Logged a slugging percentage of 0.902 with six home runs and two doubles.
• Added 21 RBI and nine runs scored.
• Recorded three-or-more RBI in five-of-ten games this week.
• Ranks No. 1 in the NAIA in home runs per game (0.438), runs batted in per game (1.646), home runs (21), total bases (158) and total runs batted in (79), and No. 2 in slugging percentage (0.952), total bases per game (3.292) and No. 4 in total hits (77).
• This is her second career national player of the week award – March 24, 2015.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Alex Watson, Dickinson State (N.D.)
5-10,So., P., Bellflower, Calif.
• Pitched 24 innings on the week, allowing just eight hits, no walks and did not surrender a run.
• Picked up three wins and two saves to help the 36-7 Blue Hawks to a 5-0 week.
• Logged six innings pitched, giving up three hits and striking out 12 in an 8-0 win over Mayville State (N.D.) on April 18.
• Recorded a one-hit shutout over 11 innings, striking out 14 batters in a 2-0 victory over Jamestown (N.D.) on April 23.
• Leads the NAIA in saves with six and ranks fourth in the NAIA in walks allowed per nine innings (0.64).
• This is her first career national pitcher of the week award.
For more information on NAIA softball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Caitlyn Carter, Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.); Tiffanie Moore, Union (Ky.); Taylor Ross, La Sierra (Calif.); Kayleen Smith, Southern Oregon; Brittany Plimmer, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Samantha Shaffer, Vanguard (Calif.); Corrin Ziepke, Hastings (Neb.); Alyssa Lilly, Central Methodist (Mo.); Alyssa Hathcoat, Georgia Gwinnett; Christina Downs, Friends (Kan.); Kim Corcoran, Point Park (Pa.); Bailey Mize, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Cejay Hilhorst, Valley City State (N.D.); Michelle Revels, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Kali Pugh, Oklahoma City; Kelsey Payne, Brenau (Ga.); Kayla Boyle, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Lindsay Tasma, Davenport (Mich.)
Pitcher Nominees: Ashten Welch, Lyon (Ark.); Hawley Ill, St. Andrews (N.C.); Tabitha Bayers, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Victoria Mackey, Southern Oregon; Tori Burke, Cardinal Stritch (Wis.); Breena Smith, Marian (Ind.); Alexandra Olvera, Vanguard (Calif.); Rachel Henks, Morningside (Iowa); Erin Enke, Central Methodist (Mo.); Ashley Beyke, Georgia Gwinnett; Zoe Gillis, British Columbia; Gabby Markham, Ottawa (Kan.); Jenna Jones, Rio Grande (Ohio); Lyndsey Parden, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Haley Beam, Houston-Victoria (Texas); Georgia Wall, Oklahoma City; Taylor Powell, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Kayla Montgomery, Webber International (Fla.); Erin Combs, Madonna (Mich.)
2015-16 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 23): Victoria Decker, Campbellsville (Ky.) , Ariel Roder, Rio Grande (Ohio)
Week 2 (March 30): Jenna Daniel, Oklahoma Wesleyan , Tara Moates, Oregon Tech
Week 3 (April 06): Kyra Parker, Evangel (Mo.) , Alex Vargas, Dickinson State (N.D.)
Week 4 (April 13): Nicole Nonnemacher, Saint Xavier (Ill.) , Ashli Hafford, St. Gregory's (Okla.)
Week 5 (April 20): Jenna Daniel, Oklahoma Wesleyan , Leslie Miller, Oklahoma City
Week 6 (April 27): Alex Watson, Dickinson State (N.D.) , Alex Springer, Indiana Wesleyan