Photo provided by Reinhardt (Ga.) Athletics
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Rebecca Cheeks of Reinhardt (Ga.) has been named the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball National Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Cheeks was selected for her performance during the week of Jan. 2 – 8 and was chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Rebecca Cheeks, Reinhardt (Ga.)
Fr., F, Ranger, Ga.
• In helping Reinhardt (Ga.) to a program-best nine-game win-streak, Cheeks averaged 27 points and 13.5 rebounds in the Lady Eagles’ last two games.
• In the contest against Columbia (S.C.), Cheeks earned two season-bests in points and rebounds with 29 and 19.
• In Reinhardt’s first victory in Barbourville, Ky., since 2013, Cheeks was the leading scorer with 25 points to pave the way to a 66-62 win.
• To add to her impressive stat line, Cheeks went 21-for-38 from the field and 10-of-16 from the charity stripe.
• Ranks in the Top 20 in four major statistical categories – No. 6 in total rebounds (179), No. 10 in rebounds per game (9.9), No. 13 in offensive rebounds per game (3.8) and No. 17 in total scoring (312).
• This is Cheeks’ first career National Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the Division I Women’s Basketball statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Andi Gayner, Mayville State (N.D.); Petra Lumpert, College of Idaho; Erica Vasquez, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Keanna Gary, Indiana Tech; Kilee Harris, Sterling (Kan.); Ashley Bray, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Desanta' Franklin-Jordan, St. Thomas (Fla.); Patrice Tonge, Midway (Ky.); Kendall Bradbury, Taylor (Ind.); Jannah Mahmoud, Robert Morris (Ill.)
2016-17 Division II Women's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (November 29): Kassidy De Jong, Northwestern (Iowa)
Week 2 (December 6): Mary Janovich, Concordia (Neb.)
Week 3 (December 13): Jesse Sheridan, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Week 4 (January 3): Petra Lumpert, College of Idaho
Week 5 (January 10): Rebecca Cheeks, Reinhardt (Ga.)