By Nikki Sherrill, Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Campbellsville’s (Ky.) Chuck Sharon has been name the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Sharon was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 2 - 8. The next wrestler of the week will be announced Wednesday, Jan. 18.
NAIA National Wrestler of the Week
Chuck Sharon, Campbellsville (Ky.)
184, Jr., Smithfield, Va.
• After knocking off three ranked grapplers at 184 pounds during the NWCA National Duals in Fort Wayne, Ind., Sharon improved to 20-0 in duals this season.
• Sharon’s headline victory came against defending national champion and No. 1 Michael Pixley from Grand View (Iowa). Sharon walked away with an 8-4 win over the top wrestler.
• On the season, Sharon has outscored his opponents 161-29 in just 20 matches.
• The Tigers, led by Sharon, head to Marshall, Mo., for the Missouri Valley College Invitational on Jan. 20.
• This is Sharon’s first career National Wrestler of the Week.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Troy Mercer, Lyon (Ark.); Jared Key, St. Andrews (N.C.); John Hensley, Great Falls (Mont.); Khaldoon Rashid, Great Falls (Mont.); Randy Null, Northwestern (Iowa); Logan Moore, Morningside (Iowa); Giovanni Castillo, Concordia (Neb.); Nathan Ryan, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Jake Wood, Hastings (Neb.); Victor Hughes, Baker (Kan.); Jacob Colon, Grand View (Iowa); Andrew Simmons, Missouri Valley; Sammy Rosario, Cumberland (Tenn.); John Weldon, Indiana Tech
2016-17 Wrestling Composite Award WinnersWeek 1 (November 16): Dalton Tipton, Missouri Valley
Week 2 (December 7): Daniel Leonard, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (January 11): Chuck Sharon, Campbellsville (Ky.)