By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Emily Cabrera of Cumberlands (Ky.) was selected as this week’s NAIA Women’s Lacrosse Defensive Player of the Week, while Samantha Tullar, also of Cumberlands, is this week’s National Offensive Player of the Week. They were selected for their performances during the week of Feb. 27 – March 5 and were chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Offensive Player of the Week
Samantha Tullar, Cumberlands (Ky.)
Fr., M, Randolph Center, Vt.
• During a 2-0 week for the Patriots, Tullar earned 13 goals and tallied two assists.
• Against Johnson & Wales (Fla.), Tullar recorded eight points and scooped up six draw controls and two ground balls.
• In the next game against Point (Ga.), Tullar netted all seven first-half goals for the Patriots, which tied the program-high for goals in a game.
• Holds the No. 1 ranking in three major statistical categories – total goals (27), shots per game (9.8) and total shots (49).
• This is Tullar’s first National Player of the Week honor.
Defensive Player of the Week
Emily Cabrera, Cumberlands (Ky.)
So., G, Pembroke Pines, Fla.
• Went 2-0 in that cage for the Patriots, including wins over Johnson & Wales (Fla.) and Point (Ga.).
• Recorded her first-career and the program’s first-ever shutout in the 23-0 win over Johnson & Wales.
• Earned her a save percentage of .844 in her time behind the net.
• Ranks No. 9 in the NAIA in total saves (35).
• This is Cabrera’s first National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week Calendar, click here.
Offensive: Laura Ebers, Missouri Baptist; Brooke Knoll, Davenport (Mich.); Avery Blackmon, Georgetown (Ky.); Jade Lawson, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Sarah Wade, Ave Maria (Fla.); Julia Harvey, Saint Mary (Kan.)
Defensive: Alex Yates, Davenport (Mich.); Avery Blackmon, Georgetown (Ky.); Kathy Perkins, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Richelle Harris, Ave Maria (Fla.)
2017 NAIA Women's Lacrosse Players of the Week (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (February 28): Defensive, Kelly Friere, Reinhardt (Ga.); Offensive, Becan Hennighan, Cumberlands (Ky.)
Week 2 (March 7): Defensive, Emily Cabrera, Cumberlands (Ky.); Offensive, Samantha Tullar, Cumberlands (Ky.)