By Spencer Scheve, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kathleen Daniel of Brenau (Ga.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Allyson Metz of Columbia (Mo.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Daniel and Metz were selected based on their performances from March 13 – 19, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners. This is the first NAIA National Softball weekly award of the season.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.)
Fr., P, Locust Grove, Ga.
• Finished week with four wins, including a no-hitter against Coastal Georgia.
• Daniel allowed only two runs in 28 innings pitched with 36 strikeouts and four walks.
• Leads the NAIA in strikeouts (333), hits allowed per game and wins (22).
Softball Player of the Week
Allyson Metz, Columbia (Mo.)
Jr. IF, Jefferson City, Mo.
• Helped her team to a 4-0 week, with wins against Harris-Stowe State (Mo.) and Missouri Baptist.
• Had 14 at bats, connecting on 11 hits and bringing in 10 runs.
• Connected on all eight at bats against Harris-Stowe State bringing in nine runs.
• Averaging 3.5 at bats, 2.8 hits and 1.8 runs.
• A batting average of .786 and slugging average of 1.571 on the week.
• Metz is hitting .385 for the season.
For more information on NAIA softball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Hannah Melhorn, Union (Ky.); Heather O'Kelly, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Cheyenne Barker, Eastern Oregon; Morgan Krieger, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Logan Personett, Marian (Ind.); Jocelyn Young, Hope International (Calif.); Nicki Larsen, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Sydney Tigges, Clarke (Iowa); Brashante Dareus, Georgia Gwinnett; Sami Story, Stillman (Ala.); Michaela Shouldis, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Tori Humphrey, Campbellsville (Ky.); Mikayla Frost, Jamestown (N.D.); Dani Billings, LSU Alexandria; Kelsey Gravens, Midway (Ky.); Tate Landmark, Science & Arts (Okla.); Victoria Lewis, Mobile (Ala.); Cheyenne Blaha, Southeastern (Fla.); Joey Brinegar, Northwestern Ohio
Pitcher Nominees: Laura Helmich, Williams Baptist (Ark.); Brienna Sparks, Bluefield (Va.); Paris Hallums, Simpson (Calif.); Colette Robert, College of Idaho; Christina Pembrook, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Grace Lumpkin, Marian (Ind.); Kolbi Tonini, Vanguard (Calif.); Haileigh Arthur, Doane (Neb.); Olivia Brees, Baker (Kan.); Katie Jo Goodwin, Georgia Gwinnett; Christie Betker, McPherson (Kan.); Neely Quint, Campbellsville (Ky.); Megan Mendonca, Presentation (S.D.); Kasey Cazares, LSU Alexandria; Jenna Jones, Rio Grande (Ohio); Chula Chavez, St. Gregory's (Okla.); Lindsie Scholwinski, Southeastern (Fla.); Marisa Loya, Aquinas (Mich.)
2016-17 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 21): Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.) , Allyson Metz, Columbia (Mo.)