By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Avery Blackmon of Georgetown (Ky.) was selected as this week’s NAIA Women’s Lacrosse Defensive Player of the Week and Samantha Tullar from Cumberlands (Ky.) is this week’s National Offensive Player of the Week. They were selected for their performances during the week of March 27 – April 2 and were chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Offensive Player of the Week
Samantha Tullar, Cumberlands (Ky.)
Fr., M, Randolph Center, Vt.
• Continued to lead her Cumberlands team, as she finished with 18 goals during a 1-2 week for the program, including two seven-goal contests over Reinhardt (Ga.) and then-No. 5 Georgetown (Ky.).
• Earned a career-high of ten points in the loss to Georgetown.
• In back-to-back games, Tullar dished out three assists to end with six total for the week.
• Holds the No. 1 ranking in the NAIA in seven statistical categories – goals per game (5.7), points per game (6.6), shots per game (11.1), shots on goal per game (8.2), total shots (144), total shots on goal (106) and total goals (74).
• This is Tullar’s second National Player of the Week honor (March 7).
Defensive Player of the Week
Avery Blackmon, Georgetown (Ky.)
So., M, Atlanta, Ga.
• During a 19-15 Georgetown win over then-No. 8 Cumberlands (Ky.), Blackmon set a program single-game record with her 20 draw controls.
• Netted six goals and recorded four assists in the Tiger victory.
• In a 17-9 win over Reinhardt (Ga.), Blackmon earned a game-high nine draw controls for Georgetown, while hitting three goals and adding three assists with four ground balls.
• Ranks No. 2 in total assists (26) and assists per game (2.6).
• This is Blackmon’s first National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the Women’s Lacrosse statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive: Julia Robson, Marian (Ind.); Merrisa Heraldson, Georgetown (Ky.); Mackenzie Tourville, Ave Maria (Fla.); Jade Lawson, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); McKenna Fisher, Missouri Baptist; Taylor Vaccaro, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Brooke Knoll, Davenport (Mich.); Lizzie Darrow, Benedictine (Kan.)
Defensive: Sam Vikstrom, Indiana Tech; Mackenzie Tourville, Ave Maria (Fla.); Stacy Rohan, Missouri Baptist; Keyerra Anderson, Columbia (S.C.); Tori Alexander, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Tayrn St. Louis, Benedictine (Kan.)
2017 NAIA Women’s Lacrosse Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (February 28): Defensive, Kelly Friere, Reinhardt (Ga.); Offensive, Becan Hennighan, Cumberlands (Ky.)
Week 2 (March 7): Defensive, Emily Cabrera, Cumberlands (Ky.); Offensive, Samantha Tullar, Cumberlands (Ky.)
Week 3 (March 14): Defensive, Marie Klonowski, Lawrence Tech (Mich.); Offensive, Jasmine Hickman, Tennessee Wesleyan
Week 4 (March 21): Defensive, Rachel Kidwell, Georgetown (Ky.); Offensive, Jessica Lemcke, Davenport (Mich.)
Week 5 (March 28): Defensive, Ryann Deuel, Davenport (Mich.); Offensive, Brooke Knoll, Davenport (Mich.)
Week 6 (April 4): Defensive, Samantha Tullar, Cumberlands (Ky.); Offensive, Avery Blackmon, Georgetown (Ky.)