By Pete Scantlebury, NAIA Manager of Athletic Communications
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) remains at No. 1 in the latest edition of the 2018-2019 NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, receiving all 12 first-place votes for the second-consecutive polling period.
Top 25 Highlights
- Dakota Wesleyan is 17-1 on the
season,but suffered its first loss to No. 2 Concordia (Neb.) on Dec. 15. Since then, the Tigers have won four straight games, none by fewer than 23 points.
- After upsetting Dakota Wesleyan, Concordia went 3-1 over its next four games. The lone loss came in double-overtime to Dordt (Iowa), which is ranked No. 12 in the latest poll.
- New to the poll this week: No. 22 UC Merced (Calif.), No. 23 Indiana Northwest and No. 24 Bellevue (Neb.)
- Sterling (Kan.) is the lone undefeated team
remaining,and jumped from No. 11 to seventh in this poll.
- Morningside (Iowa), which checks in at No. 9, holds the record for most No. 1 rankings of all-time with 38. Indiana Wesleyan – 16th in this poll – is second with 33.
- Morningside also holds the record for longest consecutively ranked active school with 175 straight polls. Saint Xavier (Ill.) is second on the list with 162, which includes its time in DI Women’s Basketball.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2018-19 NAIA Division II Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll – No. 3 (Jan. 8, 2019)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL (1ST-PLACE VOTES)||RECORD||POINTS|
|1||1||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) ||17-1||312|
|6||4||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||13-2||263|
|10||9||Antelope Valley (Calif.)||12-3||215|
|14||12||St. Francis (Ill.)||11-5||184|
|18||21||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||13-4||145|
|23||NR||Indiana Northwest (Ind.)||15-4||66|
|25||20||Rio Grande (Ohio)||13-4||64|
Dropped out: Milligan (Tenn.), Saint Francis (Ind.), Midland (Neb.)
Receiving votes: Milligan (Tenn.) 55, Saint Francis (Ind.) 55, Midland (Neb.) 45, Siena Heights (Mich.) 39, St. Ambrose (Iowa) 29, Haskell (Kan.) 22, Lawrence Tech (Mich.) 17, Kansas Wesleyan 9, Florida Memorial 5