By Pete Scantlebury, NAIA Manager of Athletic Communications
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – For the second consecutive week, Rio Grande (Ohio) is the top-ranked team in the 2018 NAIA Men’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. The Red Storm picked up four additional first-place votes, and now lead No. 2 William Carey (Miss.) by eight
Top 25 Highlights
RioGrande sealed a perfect 16-0-0 regular season on Oct. 27; the Red Storm now face IU-East in the semifinals of the River States Conference tournament on Nov. 7
- William Carey, the long-time No. 1 in the Top 25 poll, was likewise off this past week. Its next game also comes on Nov. 7, against Mobile (Ala.) in the semifinals of the Southern States Athletic Conference tournament.
- William Carey picked up four of the 18 first-place votes; Central Methodist (Mo.) had three.
RioGrande remains the all-time leader in No. 1 appearances since 2000, moving its total to 59 with its current ranking.
- New to the poll this week is No. 25 Point (Ga.).
- Dropping out of the poll this week was William Penn (Iowa).
- Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) holds the record as the longest consecutively ranked active school at 127-straight polls, dating back to the first installment of the Top 25 in 2007.
RioGrande is second on the list with 117 consecutive polls.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for
second-placeand so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete men’s soccer
ratingscalendar, click here.
Don’t miss a minute of any NAIA Championship this season. Buy your All-Championship Pass today.
2018 NAIA Men's Soccer Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 10 (Nov. 6)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1ST-PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||POINTS|
|1||1||Rio Grande (Ohio) ||16-0-0||488|
|2||2||William Carey (Miss.) ||15-0-1||480|
|3||3||Central Methodist (Mo.) ||16-1-2||471|
|7||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||13-2-1||396|
|10||11||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||16-2-0||342|
|11||10||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||16-3-1||332|
|13||13||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||13-3-0||304|
|17||17||The Master's (Calif.)||14-4-0||241|
|18||19||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||14-3-0||206|
|20||21||Science & Arts (Okla.)||13-3-2||174|
|23||24||University of Northwestern Ohio||14-3-2||136|
Dropped out: William Penn (Iowa)
Receiving votes: Mobile (Ala.) 75, William Penn (Iowa) 54, Thomas (Ga.) 50, UC-Merced 38, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) 30, William Woods (Mo.) 29, WVU Tech 24, Southeastern (Fla.) 24, Marymount California 15, LSU Shreveport 14, Arizona Christian 14, Georgia Gwinnett 9, Rocky Mountain (Mont.) 8, Grace (Ind.) 7, Cumberland (Tenn.) 5, Indiana Tech 4