2016 Menís Soccer Modified RPI Ė No. 1 (Sept. 28)
By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — (Complete MRPI list) Oklahoma Wesleyan is No. 1 in the first regular-season edition of the 2016 NAIA Men's Soccer Modified Ratings Percentage Index (MRPI). With a 5-0-1 record, the Eagles claim their first-ever top ranking in the MRPI. The second MRPI will be announced on Wednesday, Oct. 19.
MRPI Highlights (historical information dates back to 2010):
• Oklahoma Wesleyan becomes the 10th different NAIA Men’s Soccer program to earn the No. 1 MRPI ranking. The Eagles are also the top-ranked team in the latest NAIA Men’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, announced Tuesday.
• The Eagles, who are on a 21-match undefeated streak (19-0-2), had a previous MRPI best ranking of No. 2 during the 2013 season.
• No. 2 Hastings (Neb.), No. 3 Rio Grande (Ohio), No. 4 Davenport (Mich.) and No. 5 Northwestern Ohio round out the top five in the MRPI.
• No. 21 Madonna (Mich.) is the highest mentioned team in the MRPI that was not ranked in the most recent Coaches’ Top 25 Poll from Sept. 27.
• Rio Grande holds the most top mentions in the MRPI (seven) out of any NAIA program.
• Since 2010, the following teams have held the No. 1 position in a MRPI poll: Rio Grande (7), Hastings (3), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) (2), former member Simon Fraser (B.C.) (2), former member Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) (1), Davenport (1), Grand View (Iowa) (1), Mobile (Ala.) (1), Oklahoma Wesleyan (1) and Vanguard (Calif.) (1).
• Rio Grande is the only team to earn a Top 30 position in each of the 19 MRPI rankings since it was introduced in 2010. Lindsey Wilson had its streak snapped at 18-straight Top 30 mentions in today’s (Sept. 28) edition.
• For the complete MRPI, click here.
• The Men’s Soccer Modified Ratings Percentage Index (MRPI)—first adopted in 2010—will select the at-large qualifying teams and seed the 32-team national championship opening round field. For a MRPI calendar, click here.
• The final MRPI, used to select the at-large teams, will occur on Monday, Nov. 14.
• The MRPI consists of the team’s modified winning percentage, their opponents’ winning percentage and the cumulative ratings points from the NAIA Men’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. Each of the three values has a weighted percentage calculated in the MRPI. The MRPI modifies the value of home/away/neutral results and adds more value for games against opponents ranked in their respective national poll.
• For a complete description of the MRPI formula, go to Appendix B (page 33) in the Soccer Coaches’ Manual, or click here.
2016 Men’s Soccer Modified Ratings Percentage Index (MRPI) – No. 1 (Sept. 28)
|3||Rio Grande (Ohio)||0.86971|
|8||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||0.763349|
|15||Grand View (Iowa)||0.699478|
|19||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||0.585874|
|22||John Brown (Ark.)||0.568501|
|24||William Carey (Miss.)||0.548899|
|25||Southwestern Christian (Okla.)||0.544861|
|26||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||0.537286|