BYLAWS AMENDMENT #6
SUBJECT: CRITERIA FOR AFFILIATED CONFERENCES
Amend NAIA Bylaws Article I, Section T, Item 7 as follows;
Authorize the Council of Presidents
National Administrative Council to conduct periodic reviews of affiliated conference operations and determine sanctions related to violations of conference requirements. Conference sanctions would be consistent with those currently in place for institutional violations of NAIA rules.
Amend NAIA Bylaws Article IV, Section C as follows:
The NAIA governing body is the Council of Presidents.
For the transaction of business by the Council of Presidents, a quorum shall consist of one third of the members of the Council.
Qualifications, composition, and elections for openings on the Council of Presidents are listed in Article V of the Constitution.
The Council of Presidents shall exercise full authority in the following matters.
1. Initiating operational policies necessary to perform those duties reserved in the Constitution and Bylaws to the Council of Presidents.
2. All fiscal matters of the Association.
3. The employment and supervision of the NAIA President/Chief Executive Officer and, through the NAIA President/Chief Executive Officer, all personnel of the National Office.
4.The submission at the NAIA National Convention of a detailed report on all receipts and disbursements during the preceding fiscal year ending June 30. The audited financial statement shall be printed and distributed to the membership in such form as to facilitate a comparison of the items of income and expenditure in connection with the various activities of the Association during the fiscal year just concluded with the corresponding items for the preceding year.
5.Authorization of the Executive Committee of the Council of Presidents to transact necessary business of the Association in the interim between meetings of the Council of Presidents.
6. The review and action on all recommendations submitted by the appropriate committee/association through the authorized councils.
7. Decisions on withdrawal of membership or denial of specific sports sponsorship for a member institution. The enumeration of the above responsibilities and duties shall not be construed to deny the right of the Council of Presidents to exercise any other power or to perform any other duty within the field of governance of the affairs of the NAIA. No policies and procedures exercised by the Council of Presidents shall conflict with established policies of the constituent assembly.
8. Administrative supervision of the Conference Commissioners Association.
9. Periodic review of affiliated conference operations and sanctions related to violations of conference requirements.
Amend NAIA Bylaws Article IV, Section E and renumber as follows:
The National Administrative Council shall exercise authority in the following matters:
1. Initiating operational policies for conference, independent and national competition, national statistical services, and national awards;
2. Providing administrative supervision of all NAIA Coaches Associations, the Athletics Trainers Association, the Conduct and Ethics Committee, and those associations/committees assigned by them which deal with conference, independent and national competition;
3. Annually reviewing and establishing the conference, independent and national qualification plans for postseason competition for all sports;
4. Reviewing and acting on all recommendations from those associations/committees within their area of responsibility;
5. Conducting periodic review of affiliated conference operations and determining sanctions related to violations of conference requirements;
6 5. Conducting nominations and elections in accordance with the Constitution when openings on the Council arise.
The chair of the National Administrative Council shall serve as an ex officio member of the Council of Presidents.
Amend NAIA Bylaws Article VI, Section B, Item 6 as follows:
6. Violations of Requirements for Affiliated Conferences
Should an affiliated conference fail to meet established requirements, the Council of Presidents
National Administrative Council may apply sanctions including, but not limited to, the following:
a. Place the conference on official warning for a specified time. A warning is notification that a violation has occurred and notification that future violations will lead to stronger penalties.
b. Place the conference on official reprimand for a specified time. A reprimand is notification that a violation has occurred, which requires a written response of corrective measures to be taken by the institution.
c. Place the conference on probation for a specified time. Probation is notification that a serious violation has occurred, which requires a written response of corrective measures to be taken by the conference. Any future violation while on probation may lead to suspension of the conference. Probation shall be listed on the NAIA website.
d. Place the conference on suspension for a specified time. Suspension of a conference shall cause the institutions which are members of the conference to forfeit all automatic bids (either conference bids or unaffiliated groupings) to NAIA national championships competition. Teams from suspended conferences may be selected for NAIA national championship events through the at-large process.
Intent: To shift specified oversight and administrative supervision of the Conference Commissioners Association to the Council of Presidents.
Effective date: April 23, 2013
Submitted by: NAIA Council of Presidents
Co-Sponsored by: NAIA Conference Commissioners Association, NAIA National Administrative Council