2015 NAIA Baseball Players of the Week ? No. 7 (May 5)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Steven Borkowski (pictured top left) of St. Catharine (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week and Zair Koeiman of Oklahoma Wesleyan has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Borkowski and Koeiman were selected based on their performances from April 27 –May 3 and were chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners. Borkowski and Koeiman are the final NAIA National Baseball weekly honorees of 2015.
National Pitcher of the Week
Steven Borkowski, St. Catharine (Ky.)
6-2, Sr., P, San Diego, Calif.
• In four appearances last week, Borkowski was credited with a complete-game victory and three saves. He tossed 14.0 innings, allowed just two hits, gave up zero runs and compiled 13 strikeouts.
• Started the week with a no-hitter against the Cumberlands (Ky.) on April 30. In that effort, he went the full nine innings and fanned eight batters. He had one walk.
• Posted saves against Campbellsville (Ky.) and Pikeville (Ky.) on May 1 in the Mid-South Conference (MSC) Tournament.
• On May 2, he forced a second MSC championship game with a save against Lindsey Wilson (Ky.).
• On the season, he stands with a 7-4 overall record in 16 appearances with four saves.
National Player of the Week
Zair Koeiman, Oklahoma Wesleyan
5-9, Sr., 3B, Willemstad, Curacao
• In five games last week, Koeiman hit .526 (10-for-19) with 10 RBIs, 10 runs scored and four home runs. He posted a 1.474 slugging percentage.
• Collected a pair of four-hit games. In one of those games, he went 4-for-4 with four runs scored, three homers and five RBIs in 11-10 loss to Bellevue (Neb.) on May 3 in the Midlands Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament championship.
• Rapped out four extra-base hits, coming up a single shy of the cycle, in the 12-4 win over College of the Ozarks (Mo.) on May 2.
• In NAIA statistical categories, Koeiman ranks No. 4 in total RBIs (69), 14th in doubles (21), 24th in home runs (11) and 28th in slugging percentage (.692).
For more information on NAIA baseball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Cody Stewart, William Woods (Mo.); Ryan Horvath, Union (Ky.); Nate Esposito, Concordia (Ore.); Drey Devereaux, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Jesse Zepeda, Bethel (Ind.); Neil Lawhorn, Concordia (Calif.); Dylan Steyer, Midland (Neb.); Hector Corona, Talladega (Ala.); Randy Santiesteban, Peru State (Neb.); Francisco Gonzalez, St. Catharine (Ky.); Blake Marchant, Grand View (Iowa); Darin Stanislawski, Mayville State (N.D.); Yariel Gonzalez, Oklahoma Baptist; Matt Miller, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); James Edwards, Marygrove (Mich.).
Pitcher Nominees: Kraig Kelley, Lyon (Ark.); Austin Hadley, Concordia (Ore.); Tyler Hebel, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Caleb Macpherson, Bethel (Ind.); Dillon Moran, Concordia (Calif.); Cody Pollack, Midland (Neb.); Matt Holland, Talladega (Ala.); Eli Egger, Benedictine (Kan.); Curtis Taylor, British Columbia; Stephan Meyer, Bellevue (Neb.); Jacob Logan, William Penn (Iowa); Tyler Leibert, Mayville State (N.D.); Kelvin Rivas, Oklahoma Baptist; Cole Goodwin, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); James Edwards, Marygrove (Mich.).
2015 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher; Player) (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (March 24): Adam Panayotovich, St. Francis (Ill.); Keivan Berges, Northwood (Fla.)
Week 2 (March 31): Griffin Glaude, Lyon (Ark.); Alex Bautista, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (April 7): Brett Clark, Friends (Kan.); Osvaldo Gonzalez, Bellevue (Neb.)
Week 4 (April 14): Jason Snodgrass, Concordia (Ore.); Landon Coon, Oklahoma Baptist
Week 5 (April 21): Tyler Mark, Concordia (Calif.); Alex Bautista, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 6 (April 28): David Mullins, Missouri Baptist, Kaleb Holbrook, Thomas (Ga.)
Week 7 (May 5): Steven Borkowski, St. Catharine (Ky.); Zair Koeiman, Oklahoma Wesleyan