NAIA Football Players of the Week ? No. 4
Photo by Al Case
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Josh Calmer of Grand View (Iowa), Marc David of Eastern Oregon and Austin Dodge of Southern Oregon have been named the NAIA Football National Players of the Week, the national office announced Monday. Calmer, David and Dodge were chosen for their performances during the week of Sept. 22 – 28 and were selected out of a pool of conference and independent award winners.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Josh Calmer, Grand View (Iowa)
So., DB, Panorama, Iowa
• Recorded 15 tackles, including one tackle for loss, to lead No. 8 Grand View (Iowa) to a 21-9 win at then-No. 9 Saint Francis (Ind.).
• Key part of a defense that held the Cougars to only 277 yards of total offense, including 63 on the ground.
• His tackles are the most for a Viking defender in 2014.
• Claims his first career National Defensive Player of the Week award.
• Last Grand View Defensive Player of the Week: Zach Hollier (Sept. 2, 2013)
National Special Teams Player of the Week
Marc David, Eastern Oregon
Jr., K/P, Spokane, Wash.
• Converted 2-of-3 field goal attempts, including the 30-yard game winner in Eastern Oregon’s road win at then-No. 10 Rocky Mountain (Mont.).
• One-for-one on PATs.
• Averaged 42.0 yards per punt on five punts, including a long of 46 yards.
• Claims first career National Special Teams Player of the Week award.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Austin Dodge, Southern Oregon
Sr., QB, Vancouver, Wash.
• Completed 22-of-38 passes for 417 yards and six touchdowns in Southern Oregon’s win at Montana State-Northern.
• Set the NAIA career marks for passing touchdowns (121) and passing yardage (13,461).
• Threw six touchdown passes for the fourth time in the last two seasons.
• Helped the 2014 Raiders become the fifth team in program history to start a season with five-straight wins.
• Claims fifth career NAIA Offensive Player of the Week honor.
• Last Southern Oregon Offensive Player of the Week: Melvin Mason (Sept. 8, 2014).
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Blake Woodard, Oklahoma Baptist; Stephen Simms, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Lamont Wims, Robert Morris (Ill.); Joshua Stangby, Ottawa (Kan.); Reed Gurchiek, Cumberland (Tenn.); Malachi Daniels, Missouri Valley; Tyler Mahla, Edward Waters (Fla.); Mitch Heikes, Briar Cliff (Iowa); Myren Moore, Dickinson State (N.D.).
Defensive Nominees: Jailen Garrett, Oklahoma Baptist; Trent Forrester, McPherson (Kan.); Takari Johnson, Concordia (Mich.); Wyatt Sumption, Presentation (S.D.); Heston Altenbach, Southern Oregon; Dakwain Tarrance, Campbellsville (Ky.); Ricky Williams, Missouri Valley; Dekivious Crawford, Warner (Fla.); Justin Wohlert, Northwestern (Iowa).
Special Teams Nominees: Jordan Patsch, St. Francis (Ill.); Joe Bailey, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Blair Magee, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Dj Bamesberger, Doane (Neb.); Antoine Griffin, Valley City State (N.D.); Jeff Stamp, Ottawa (Kan.); Camren Torneden, Baker (Kan.); Brian Abrams, Warner (Fla.); Stoney Burns, Bethel (Tenn.).
2014 NAIA Football Players of the Week (complete schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 8)
Offense: Melvin Mason, Southern Oregon
Defense: Justus Dauscha, Cumberland (Tenn.)
Special Teams: Mike Self, Cumberland (Tenn.)
Week 2 (Sept. 15)
Offense: Terrell Robinson, Faulkner (Ala.)
Defense: Cory Brady, College of Idaho
Special Teams: Greg Conry, Peru State (Neb.)
Week 3 (Sept. 22)
Offense: Beau Eriksson, Jamestown (N.D.)
Defense: Eric Price, Marian (Ind.)
Special Teams: Josh Techeira, Robert Morris (Ill.)
Week 4 (Sept. 29)
Offense: Austin Dodge, Southern Oregon
Defense: Josh Calmer, Grand View (Iowa)
Special Teams: Marc David, Eastern Oregon