2015 NAIA Football Coaches? Top 25 Poll ? No. 1
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Marian (Ind.) locks down the No. 1 ranking in the first regular-season edition of the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Monday. The second regular-season edition will be released on Sept. 21.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Marian (Ind.) claims the No. 1 ranking for the 11th time in program history. The Knights, who defeated NCAA Division II then-No. 23 Indianapolis (Ind.) Saturday evening, 28-22, claimed all 15 first-place votes and 340 points. Marian shared the preseason No. 1 spot with defending national champion Southern Oregon, marking the first time since the NAIA moved to one division that two programs entered the season tied atop the poll.
• Five newcomers joined the Top 25 poll this edition: No. 15 Montana Tech, No. 17 Saint Francis (Ind.), No. 19 Montana Western, No. 22 Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) and No. 24 (tied) Reinhardt (Ga.).
• Twenty-four teams shuffled positions this week, highlighted by a poll-best nine spot jump by No. 6 Baker (Kan.) and No. 11 Robert Morris (Ill.). No. 21 MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.), which dropped 13 places from its preseason perch, fell farther than any team still ranked in the Top 25.
• The Frontier Conference – No. 4 Southern Oregon, No. 7 Carroll (Mont.), Montana Tech, and Montana Western – and the Great Plains Athletic Conference – No. 2 Morningside (Iowa), No. 9 Northwestern (Iowa), No. 14 Doane (Neb.) and Dakota Wesleyan – lead all conferences with four ranked teams each. (Note – conferences with separate divisions are looked at as two different leagues).
• Thirty different teams have been ranked in 2015.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most top-billings with 58, followed by former member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (Ky.) (25), Morningside (Iowa) (17) and Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14)
• With the 187-straight Top 25 streak of Saint Francis (Ind.) snapped in mid-October last year, Carroll owns the active lead with 182. Missouri Valley is next with 117-consecutive mentions, followed by Morningside (101) and Saint Xavier (91).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak of top 10 rankings, having been listed among the top 10 teams for 50-straight polls dating back to Sept. 19, 2011.
• For more information on NAIA football, click here.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2015 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Marian (Ind.) (15)||2-0||340|
|3||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||2-0||312|
|8||T4||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||2-1||257|
|10||6||Grand View (Iowa)||2-1||223|
|11||20||Robert Morris (Ill.)||2-0||197|
|12||19||William Penn (Iowa)||2-1||183|
|16||17||Valley City State (N.D.)||2-1||120|
|17||RV||Saint Francis (Ind.)||2-0||90|
|20||24||Webber International (Fla.)||2-1||81|
|21||8||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||1-2||74|
|22||NR||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||3-0||61|
Dropped from the Top 25: Georgetown (Ky.) (No. 11), Ottawa (Kan.) (No. 14), Eastern Oregon (No. 13), Campbellsville (Ky.) (No. 16), Friends (Kan.) (No. 21)
Others Receiving Votes: Ottawa (Kan.) 40; Georgetown (Ky.) 35; Siena Heights (Mich.) 11; Eastern Oregon 9; Rocky Mountain (Mont.) 6; Kansas Wesleyan 3.
^ Top 25 ranking from 2015 Preseason Top 25 Poll