2015 NAIA Football Coaches? Top 25 Poll ? No. 4
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) claims the No. 1 ranking in the fourth regular-season edition of the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Monday. The fifth regular-season edition will be released on Oct. 12.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) garners the No. 1 ranking for the second-consecutive week and the second time in program history. Aided by a 42-17 win at Union (Ky.) last Saturday, the Blue Raiders received 13 first-place votes and 339 total points. Lindsey Wilson (4-0) returns to the field Saturday against Cumberlands (Ky.).
• Prior to 2015, Lindsey Wilson had never been ranked higher than No. 6 (Nov. 6, 2014).
• No. 2 Southern Oregon and No. 3 Morningside (Iowa) also claimed first-place votes in the poll.
• Morningside holds the longest active streak of top 10 rankings, having been listed among the top 10 teams for 53-straight polls dating back to Sept. 19, 2011.
• No. 25 Dickinson State (N.D.) is the lone newcomer this week. The Blue Hawks (5-1), which are off to their best start since opening the year with six-straight wins in 2010, are ranked for the first time since the 2011 Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Dickinson State is 3-0 in the North Star Athletic Association – 0.5 games ahead of second-place Mayville State (N.D.).
• Nine teams jumped a poll-high two spots this week. The most notable was Saint Francis (Ind.) leaping from No. 11 to No. 9, marking the first time the team has garnered a top-10 billing since Sept. 22, 2014.
• Marian (Ind.) had the largest fall within the poll, dropping from No. 6 to No. 14 this week. The Knights are 3-2 on the year and are looking to rebound from a 45-42 loss against Saint Francis Saturday at Taylor (Ind.).
• Four teams have held the No. 1 ranking this season – Lindsey Wilson, Marian, Morningside and Southern Oregon.
• Seven teams – all of which are listed in the Top 25 – remain unbeaten in NAIA football: No. 12 Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) (5-0), No. 8 Doane (Neb.) (5-0), No. 19 Kansas Wesleyan (5-0), Saint Francis (5-0), No. 13 Reinhardt (Ga.) (5-0), Lindsey Wilson (4-0) and No. 23 St. Ambrose (Iowa) (4-0).
• The Frontier Conference and Great Plains Athletic Conference lead all leagues with four programs represented.
• The Central States Football League is the lone conference without representation in this week’s installment.
• Thirty-five different teams have been ranked in 2015.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most top-billings with 58, followed by former member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (Ky.) (25), Morningside (18) and Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14).
• With the 187-straight Top 25 streak of Saint Francis (Ind.) snapped in mid-October last year, Carroll owns the active lead with 185. Morningside (104) and Saint Xavier (94) own the next longest streaks.
• Missouri Valley had its streak of 118-consecutive Top 25 mentions snapped on Sept. 28.
• For more information on NAIA football, click here.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2015 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) (13)||4-0||339|
|2||2||Southern Oregon (1)||3-1||321|
|3||4||Morningside (Iowa) (1)||4-1||314|
|5||7||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||4-1||276|
|7||9||Grand View (Iowa)||5-1||262|
|9||11||Saint Francis (Ind.)||5-0||241|
|11||12||Robert Morris (Ill.)||4-1||206|
|12||13||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||5-0||196|
|18||19||William Penn (Iowa)||4-2||115|
|22||24||St. Francis (Ill.)||4-1||59|
|23||25||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||4-0||54|
|24||22||Webber International (Fla.)||2-2||36|
|25||RV||Dickinson State (N.D.)||5-1||25|
Dropped from the Top 25: Peru State (Neb.) (No. 20)
Others Receiving Votes: Cumberlands (Ky.) 8; Peru State (Neb.) 7; Campbellsville (Ky.) 5; Rocky Mountain (Mont.) 4.
^ Top 25 ranking from Sept. 28, 2015 Top 25 Poll