2017 NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 Poll ? No. 2
By Alan Grosbach, Associate Director of Athletic Communications and Media
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Saint Francis (Ind.) extended its top-ranked streak to five-straight, as the Cougars were the unanimous No. 1 in the second regular-season edition of the 2017 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the National Office announced Monday. Saint Francis earned 366 total points.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis downed then-No. 23 St. Ambrose (Iowa), 49-21, last weekend to improve to 3-0 on the year. Quarterback Nick Ferrer threw for 508 yards and six touchdowns, while tailback Justin Green tallied a season-high 162 yards rushing and one score.
• The slate of ranked opponents continues for the Cougars on Saturday, as they host No. 11 Saint Xavier (Ill.) in a Mid-States Football Association crossover game.
• Three new teams joined the Top 25 this week – No. 21 Cumberland (Tenn.), No. 25 (tied) Concordia (Mich.) and No. 25 (tied) Hastings (Neb.). Hastings snaps the longest drought among the trio, as the Top 25 mention is the first for the Broncos since checking in at No. 25 on Oct. 29, 2012. The Phoenix were last ranked during the 2014 season, while Concordia was recognized once last season.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), No. 16 Georgetown (Ky.) (25), No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) (20) and No. 11 Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 128-straight Top 25 mentions.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 2 (Sept. 18, 2017)
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2017 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Saint Francis (Ind.) (16)||3-0||366|
|6||6||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||3-0||295|
|8||9||Grand View (Iowa)||3-1||251|
|11||13||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||3-0||223|
|20||21||Dickinson State (N.D.)||2-1||88|
|22||19||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||3-1||48|
Dropped from the Top 25: Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) (No. 22); St. Ambrose (Iowa) (No. 23)
Others Receiving Votes: St. Ambrose (Iowa) 21; Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) 18; Midland (Neb.) 8; Peru State (Neb.) 6.
^ Top 25 ranking from Sept. 11,