2017 NAIA Football Coaches' Postseason Top 25 Poll
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – National champion Saint Francis (Ind.) owns the No. 1 ranking in the NAIA Football Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The Cougars claimed all 13 first-place votes and 288 total points.
Top 25 Highlights (information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis, which is now ranked No. 1 for the 17th time in program history, won its second national title with a 24-13 victory over No. 2 Reinhardt (Ga.) last Saturday in Daytona Beach, Fla.
• The Cougars (14-0) are the first team since former member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (2008, 2009) to win back-to-back titles. The win was also Saint Francis’ 23rd-straight in all competitions.
• Saint Francis is the first team to hold the No. 1 ranking for an entire season (13 editions) since Sioux Falls did it in 2009.
• No new teams joined the Top 25.
• No. 7 Georgetown (Ky.) jumped a poll-best five spots from No. 12 after reaching the quarterfinals of the 2017 NAIA Football Championship Series.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (25), No. 18 Marian (Ind.) (22), No. 3 Morningside (Iowa) (20), Saint Francis (17) and No. 6 Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 137-straight Top 25 mentions. Additionally, the Mustangs have been ranked within the top 10 in 86-straight polls.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Football Coaches’ Postseason Top 25 Poll (December 19, 2017)
|RANK||PREVIOUS||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2017 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Saint Francis (Ind.) (13)||14-0||288|
|5||4||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||11-1||244|
|6||8||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||10-2||223|
|11||11||Grand View (Iowa)||9-3||174|
|14||13||Dickinson State (N.D.)||9-2||152|
|23||23||Dakota State (S.D.)||8-3||38|
|24||24||Oklahoma Panhandle State||7-3||35|
Dropped from the Top 25: None
Others Receiving Votes: Montana Tech 9; College of Idaho 6; Cumberland (Tenn.) 4.