2018 NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 Poll ? Poll Eight (Oct. 29)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – With 15 of the 16 first-place votes, Morningside (Iowa) continues to pace the field in the NAIA Coaches’ Top 25 Poll for the week. The Mustangs are a perfect 9-0 and lead a group of three undefeated teams at the top. Marian (Ind.) checked in at No. 2 with one first-place vote while the Bethel (Tenn.) Wildcats jumped to No. 3 with a spotless 9-0 record.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
- No. 1 Morningside handled its business this week with a 49-0 win over Concordia (Neb.) The Mustangs are two wins away from going undefeated in the regular season for the second-consecutive season.
- The Mustangs are rated No. 1 in the nation in three categories, including total offensive yards per game. The team is averaging an astounding 605 yards per game.
- Marian snagged a critical conference win over the weekend against then-No. 21 Siena Heights (Mich.). The Knights feature the third-ranked rush defense in the NAIA, holding opponents to an average of 91 yards per game.
- Both Midland (Neb.) and Ottawa (Kan.) join the poll this week after securing wins over the weekend. Midland defeated Doane (Neb.) 35-22 while Ottawa beat a tough Southwestern (Kan.) squad 41-24.
- Bethel (Tenn.) has jumped five spots in the last two weeks and now sits in third. The 9-0 Wildcats beat then-No. 10 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 56-30 to make the jump this week.
- Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1-rankings with 57, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55). Georgetown (Ky.) and Morningside are tied with 25 apiece, followed by Marian (22).
- Morningside holds the longest active streak with 146-straight Top 25 mentions.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for
second-placeand so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
Don’t miss a minute of any NAIA Championship this season. Buy your All-Championship Pass today.
2018 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Poll Eight (Oct. 29)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1st Place Votes]||RECORD||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Morningside (Iowa) ||9-0||366|
|2||2||Marian (Ind.) ||8-0||352|
|5||4||Grand View (Iowa)||7-1||308|
|9||9||Saint Francis (Ind.)||7-2||247|
|12||13||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||7-2||216|
|16||19||Dickinson State (N.D.)||7-2||144|
|17||10||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||5-3||131|
|18||22||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||7-3||123|
|23||21||Siena Heights (Mich.)||6-2||51|
Dropped from the Top 25: Southern Oregon, Keiser (Fla.)
Others Receiving Votes: Ave Maria (Fla.) 18, Montana Tech 5, Dordt (Iowa) 4, College of Idaho 3