2015 - 16 NAIA Division I Men?s Basketball Coaches? Top 25 Poll ? Feb. 16
By: Chad Waller, Director of Communications & Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Powered with a 16-game win streak, LSU Alexandria (La.) stays at No. 1 for the third-straight week in the 2015-16 NAIA Division I Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, announced Tuesday by the national office. The ninth edition of the regular-season Top 25 will be released on Feb. 23.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
• LSU Alexandria (La.) captured eight-of-nine first-place votes and tallied 219 total points.
• The Generals own the NAIA’s longest win streak at 16-straight games. LSU Alexandria has not lost since Dec. 3, 2015.
• In NAIA statistics, LSU Alexandria is No. 1 in blocks per game (5.1) and No. 5 in field goal percentage defense (.393).
• Teams ranked 2-4 all held from last week: No. 2 Georgetown (Ky.), No. 3 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) and No. 4 Pikeville (Ky.).
• Lewis-Clark State claimed the remaining first-place vote for the second-straight week.
• No. 5 Talladega (Ala.), sliding up one position, is in the top 5 for the first time since the Preseason edition on Oct. 27, 2015.
• No. 24 Middle Georgia State, the only newcomer this week, is ranked for the first time in school history. Prior to a loss on Feb. 13, the Knights had won six in-a-row and now stand 14-6 on the year.
• With a three-spot hike, No. 22 William Jessup (Calif.) enjoyed the best positive movement.
• Conversely, No. 23 Westmont (Calif.) dips down seven positions this week.
• Through nine polls (including Preseason), there now have been 47 different teams ranked this season.
• Ten programs have held a Top 25 ranking in all nine polls.
• Pikeville now leads the active group of being ranked in the Top 25 with 47-straight mentions. The second longest streak belongs to Georgetown (41-straight) and is followed by Talladega (34-straight), Arizona Christian (27-straight) and Hope International (Calif.) (25-straight).
• By falling out of the Top 25 in the Jan. 26th edition, Xavier (La.) snapped the longest active streak of 55-straight mentions.
• Four programs have held the No. 1 distinction this year – Pikeville (four times), LSU Alexandria (La.) (three times), Dalton State (Ga.) (one time) and Georgetown (one time).
• Nine of 10 conferences claim at least one ranked program in the Top 25.
• Out of a possible 21 total polls since the 2014-15 season, LSU Alexandria has been ranked in the last 19-consecutive editions. The team has been in the top 10 in all nine rankings this year.
• The Golden State Athletic Conference landed the most Top 25 teams with five: No. 6 Hope International (Calif.), No. 9 Biola (Calif.), No. 17 Arizona Christian, No. 22 William Jessup and No. 23 Westmont.
• The Mid-South Conference has four teams represented while four other conferences have three teams each.
• There have been 35 different teams since 2000 to hold the No. 1 position. Former NAIA member Mountain State leads the all-time charts with 48 all-time No. 1 rankings, followed by NAIA Division II member Robert Morris with 24. Georgetown is next with 13, former member Concordia (Calif.) at 12, former member Cal State San Marcos at 11 and Columbia at nine No. 1 recognitions.
• Robert Morris, now a NAIA Division II member in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC), is the only program to start and end a season ranked No. 1, doing so during the 2006 – 07 season.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015 – 16 NAIA Division I Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Feb. 16 (No. 8)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2015-16 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||LSU Alexandria (8)||23-2||219|
|3||3||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) (1)||24-2||206|
|6||7||Hope International (Calif.)||22-4||183|
|10||T9||William Penn (Iowa)||21-5||161|
|13||11||Mid-America Christian (Okla.)||20-6||137|
|14||15||William Carey (Miss.)||18-8||124|
|16||17||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||20-6||118|
|18||18||Peru State (Neb.)||17-9||90|
|T19||21||Our Lady of the Lake (Texas)||15-6||87|
|22||25||William Jessup (Calif.)||17-7||78|
|24||RV||Middle Georgia State||14-6||49|
Dropped from rankings: No. 22 Campbellsville (Ky.)
Others Receiving Votes: Campbellsville (Ky.) 37; Xavier (La.) 37; Dillard (La.) 22; Montana Western 20; Avila (Mo.) 17; LSU Shreveport (La.) 8; Voorhees (S.C.) 7; Bethel (Tenn.) 7.