2018-2019 NAIA DII Men's Basketball Coaches' Preseason Top 25 Poll
By Pete Scantlebury, NAIA Manager of Athletic Communications
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – After winning its third title in five years, Indiana Wesleyan begins the 2018 season as the No. 1 team in the 2018 NAIA DII Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll. The Wildcats received 11 of the 12 first-place votes in the initial ballots.
Top 25 Highlights
- Indiana Wesleyan returns 78-percent of the team’s scoring from its national-championship season in 2017-2018. That includes sophomore guard Kyle Mangas who was a first-team NAIA All-American and the NAIA National Championship MVP as a freshman.
- Indiana East, the No. 2 team in the preseason Top 25 Poll, picked up the final first-place vote. The Red Wolves finished 30-3 a year
ago,but lost in the semifinals to eventual champion Indiana Wesleyan.
- The newcomers to the preseason poll, based on the final regular-season poll of 2017-2018, are No. 15 Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio), No. 19 Warner (Fla.), No. 21 Trinity International (Ill.) and No. 22 Southern Oregon.
- No. 23 Bethel (Ind.) has the most active appearances at No. 1 with 35. Behind Bethel
areNo. 1 Indiana Wesleyan with 22, Cornerstone (Mich.) at 19 and Oregon Tech at 15.
- Indiana Wesleyan holds the longest active streak in the poll with 75-straight appearances. Bethel is next with 65. Following those two teams are Saint Francis (Ind.) with 56 and Cornerstone with 54.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and Association of Independent Institutions.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for
second-placeand so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
- The frequency of polls occurs bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2018-2019 NAIA Division II Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Preseason (Oct. 23)
|RANK||LAST RANK*||SCHOOL (FIRST-PLACE VOTES)||2017-2018 RECORD||POINTS|
|1||4||Indiana Wesleyan (11)||31-7||312|
|2||1||Indiana East (Ind.) (1)||34-3||294|
|3||3||College of Idaho||30-7||292|
|10||11||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||26-8||229|
|15||RV||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio)||18-14||165|
|16||7||Saint Francis (Ind.)||29-9||164|
|17||20||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||23-11||139|
|20||15||Indiana Southeast (Ind.)||24-9||113|
|21||RV||Trinity International (Ill.)||21-11||112|
|23||12||Warner Pacific (Ore.)||24-10||81|
|25||8||St. Thomas (Fla.)||23-8||55|
* Last rank in the final regular-season poll of 2017-2018. Beginning last year, there is no longer a postseason poll.
Others receiving votes: Roosevelt (Ill.) 34, Antelope Valley (Calif.) 33, Milligan (Tenn.) 33, Rochester (Mich.) 31, Keiser (Fla.) 22, Voorhees (S.C.) 17, Friends (Kan.) 13, Mayville State (N.D.) 11, Doane (Neb.) 9