2018-2019 NAIA DII Men's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll -- No. 2
By Pete Scantlebury, NAIA Manager of Athletic Communications
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – College of Idaho has ascended to the top spot in the 2018 NAIA DII Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, as previous No. 1 Indiana Wesleyan fell to No. 4 after two recent losses.
Top 25 Highlights
- This is the first time College of Idaho is No. 1 in the DII Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Poll since the very first DII poll – which was the preseason poll for the 1991-1992 season. College of Idaho has been No. 2 six times, most recently in the last poll.
- With Indiana Wesleyan dropping to four, Morningside (Iowa) remained at No. 2, where it was tied with College of Idaho a week ago. Oklahoma Wesleyan moved from No. 4 to No. 3. Finally, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) jumped up one spot to No. 5 as previously fifth-ranked Marian (Ind.) fell to No. 15.
- College of Idaho received seven first-place votes. Morningside and Oklahoma Wesleyan each received two, and Indiana Wesleyan still picked up one first-place vote.
- Five teams jumped into the poll: No. 17 College of the Ozarks (Mo.), No. 18 Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.), No. 19 Saint Francis (Ind.), No. 21 Warner (Fla.) and No. 22 Calumet (Ind.).
- Indiana Wesleyan holds the longest active streak in the poll with 77-straight appearances. Bethel is next with 67, although it dropped to No. 23 this week. Following those two teams is Cornerstone (Mich.) with 56.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and Association of Independent Institutions.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for
second-placeand so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered
a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appearson.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
Frequencyof polls occurbi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2018-2019 NAIA Division II Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 2 (Dec. 11, 2018)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL (FIRST-PLACE VOTES)||RECORD||FINAL POINTS|
|1||2||College of Idaho ||13-1||306|
|2||2||Morningside (Iowa) ||11-0||302|
|3||4||Oklahoma Wesleyan ||12-0||295|
|4||1||Indiana Wesleyan ||11-3||284|
|5||6||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio)||10-2||272|
|6||8||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||10-1||257|
|9||23||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||12-2||231|
|16||7||Indiana East (Ind.)||8-4||167|
|17||NR||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||11-3||147|
|18||NR||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||9-3||123|
|19||NR||Saint Francis (Ind.)||8-5||118|
|20||17||Warner Pacific (Ore.)||8-3||117|
|25||20||Indiana Southeast (Ind.)||8-5||73|
Dropped out: Voorhees (S.C.), Dordt (Iowa), Hastings (Neb.), Montreat (N.C.)
Others receiving votes: Jamestown (N.D.) 56, Mayville State (N.D.) 41, UC Merced 36, St. Francis (Ill.) 31, Voorhees (S.C.) 22, Dordt (Iowa) 17, Hastings (Neb.) 15, Friends (Kan.) 15, Montreat (N.C.) 10, Thomas (Ga.) 3