2017 NAIA Men's Golf Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 2
By Trevor Lininger, NAIA Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Texas Wesleyan takes over the No. 1 spot in the second regular season NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Friday.
Top 25 Highlights (Historical information dating back to 2000)
- The Rams of Texas Wesleyan garnered 17 first place votes and 498 total points to move from No. 3 to No. 1 in this week’s Top 25 Poll.
- Defending National Champion Grand View (Iowa) is currently Receiving Votes, but not ranked in the Top 25.
- Five teams joined the Top 25 poll this week. No. 16 Southeastern (Fla.) and No. 18 The Master’s (Calif.) rejoin the Top 25 for the first time since the
- Preseason Poll while No. 19 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho), No. 21 Columbia (Mo.) and No. 25 Marymount (Calif.) join the poll for the first time in 2017.
- Oklahoma City still holds the record for the most No. 1 rankings of all time with 49 total, and have been ranked in all 109 polls, dating back to 2000.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Nov. 3
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1ST PLACE VOTES]||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||3||Texas Wesleyan ||498|
|3||2||Dalton State (Ga.) ||471|
|4||4||Johnson & Wales (Fla.)||442|
|7||16||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||393|
|8||9||USC Beaufort (S.C.)||387|
|10||6||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||347|
|13||7||William Woods (Mo.)||303|
|17||12||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||208|
|18||NR||The Master's (Calif.)||200|
|19||NR||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||198|
|22||25||William Carey (Miss.)||156|
|25||NR||Marymount California University||105|
Dropped From Top 25: Lindsey Wilson (Ky.), William Jessup (Calif.), Northwestern (Iowa), Culver-Stockton (Mo.), SCAD Savannah (Ga.)
Others Receiving Votes: William Penn (Iowa) 95; Morningside (Iowa) 79; Thomas (Ga.) 77; Lawrence Tech (Mich.) 68; Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 64; Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) 33; Cumberlands (Ky.) 19; William Jessup (Calif.) 14; Grand View (Iowa) 11; Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.) 10; Indiana Wesleyan 9; Northwestern (Iowa) 8; Faulkner (3)