2016 Men?s Lacrosse Coaches? Top 10 Poll ? No. 1 (March 2)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Davenport (Mich.) is No. 1 in the first regular-season edition of the NAIA Men’s Lacrosse Coaches’ Top 10 Poll, the national office announced Wednesday. The Panthers claimed all eight first-place votes and 120 points. The second regular-season installment will be released March 8.
Men’s Lacrosse is in year one of a two-year process towards becoming an NAIA National Championship sport. Throughout the season, 27 Men’s programs will fight for eight spots in the first-ever national invitational tournament May 4-7 in Greenville, S.C. Eight regular-season polls will be conducted, as well as a final and postseason poll.
- The ratings committee is comprised of eight raters – two raters per conference/A.I.I./group
- Each conference/A.I.I./group produces a conference rating from which raters will use to compile their national ballot. Only teams represented on the conference rating are eligible for the national ballot.
- Each rater will submit a top 15 ballot, which will be used to produce the Top 10 national rating and a list of other teams receiving votes.
- For additional details on the national rating, please consult the coaches’ manual – Men’s | Women’s
NAIA Men’s Lacrosse Coaches’ Top 10 Poll – No. 1 (March 2)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL (1st place votes)||Record *||Final Points|
|1||1||Davenport (Mich.) (8)||1-0||120|
|2||3||Siena Heights (Mich.)||0-1||107|
|5||7||St. Andrews (N.C.)||4-0||81|
|10||RV||Lawrence Tech (Mich.)||0-0||36|
Dropped from the Top 10: SCAD Savannah (Ga.) (No. 9) and Lourdes (Ohio.) (No. 10)
Others receiving votes: SCAD Savannah (Ga.) 31; St. Gregory’s (Okla) 30; Tennessee Wesleyan 27; Lourdes (Ohio) 25; Aquinas (Mich.) 11; Saint Mary 10; Cumberlands (Ky.) 4; Robert Morris (Ill.) 3.
^ Ranking based off the NAIA Men’s Lacrosse Coaches’ Top 10 Preseason Poll (Feb. 2)
* Record includes games against NAIA schools only