Wayland Baptist Claims 2017 Men's Soccer National Championship
Story by Trevor Lininger, NAIA Athletic Communications and Media Intern
Pictures courtesy of Alex Fuenmayor. To order photos, CLICK HERE.
DELRAY BEACH, Fla. – (Box Score | Bracket) Wayland Baptist (Texas) was victorious over No. 3 Missouri Valley, 1-0, to claim the 59th annual NAIA Men’s Soccer National Championship thanks to a goal in double overtime from Federico Ucar.
This title is the first in program history for the Wayland Baptist Pioneers.
108:18 | Wayland Baptist | Federico Ucar – Assisted by James Quinn
Inside the Box Score
- As regulation time ran out, neither team had scored, as Wayland Baptist took 10 shots and Missouri Valley took nine.
- Both goalies recorded three saves in the regulation time.
- The Vikings and Pioneers remained scoreless until the 108th minute.
- James Quinn of Wayland Baptist kept a deflected free kick inbounds, and Federico Ucar headed the ball in for the golden goal to earn the Pioneers the title.
- Of the 11 shots taken by Missouri Valley throughout the match, four were on goal. All four shots were saved by Ziggy Cameo, including a crucial save in the first overtime.
Nicolau Neto, GK, Columbia (Mo.)
Ziggy Camejo, GK, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Lamine Conte, DEF, Mobile (Ala.)
Nikola Fimic, DEF, Oklahoma Wesleyan
Uros Ilic, DEF, Missouri Valley
Ross Clarke, DEF, Missouri Valley
Lochlan Reus, MID, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Federico Ucar, MID, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Joan Martorell, MID, Missouri Valley
Guillermo Chinchilla, MID, Marymount (Calif.)
Aleksandar Simovic, FWD, Oklahoma Wesleyan
Nedin Zukanovic, FWD, Marymount (Calif.)
Newton Henry, FWD, Mobile (Ala.)
Ricardo Ramos, FWD, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
NAIA Outstanding Offensive Player Award: Federico Ucar, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
NAIA Outstanding Defensive Player Award: Ziggy Cameo, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
NAIA Men’s Soccer Most Valuable Player: Lochlan Reus, Wayland Baptist (Texas)