2019 NAIA Men's Soccer National Championship Opening Round presented by Select Soccer – Day Two
Kansas City, Mo. -- [FULL BRACKET] Fifteen teams advance will join Westmont (Calif.) in Irvine, Calif. at OC Great Park Soccer on December 2-7. Eleven of the fifteen host schools move on to the final site.
Opening Round Scores
Baker (Kan.) def. Eastern Oregon, 2-0 | Box Score
Oklahoma Wesleyan def. Morningside (Iowa), 6-1 | Box Score
Madonna (Mich.) def. WVU Tech (W.Va.), 2-1 | Box Score
Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) def. John Brown (Ark.), 4-1 | Box Score
Columbia (Mo.) def. Embry-Riddle (Ariz.), 2-1 | Box Score
Central Methodist (Mo.) def. Martin Methodist, 4-0 | Box Score
Mobile (Ala.) def. Indiana Tech, 2-0 | Box Score
William Carey (Miss.) def. Keiser (Fla.) | Box Score
Georgia Gwinnett def. Life (Ga.), 2-2 | Box Score
UNOH def. Bethel (Tenn.), 1-0 | Box Score
Missouri Valley def. St. Thomas (Fla.), 1-0 | Box Score
Hastings (Neb.) def. William Penn (Iowa) 2-2OT (Hastings wins 4-4 in PK's) | Box Score
Rio Grande (Ohio) def. Huntington (Ind.), 1-0 | Box Score
UC Merced (Calif.) def. Corban (Ore.), 1-1 (UC Merced wins 6-5 on PK's) | Box Score
Spring Arbor (Mich.) def. Grand View (Iowa), 4-0 | Box Score
Day Two Highlights
- Baker (Kan.), Oklahoma Wesleyan, Madonna (Mich.), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.), Columbia (Mo.), Central Methodist (Mo.), Mobile (Ala.), William Carey (Miss.), Georgia Gwinnett, University of Northwestern Ohio, Missouri Valley, Hastings (Neb.) Rio Grande (Ohio), UC Merced (Calif.) and Spring Arbor (Mich.) will head to Irvine, California after winning their opening round bracket.
- Baker (Kan.) defeated Tennessee Wesleyan 4-0 and will be making their fifth sweet sixteen appearance of the NAIA Men's Soccer National Championship in seven years.
- Madonna (Mich.) defeated host WVU Tech (W. Va.) 2-1 highlighted by Issei Ito who got the ball to Yuri Farkas that he fired into the back of the net for the final score of 2-1.
- Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) battled weather but still controlled the pace of play outshooting the Golden Eagles of John Brown (Ark.) 11-5 including 6-0 on shots on goal.
- William Carey (Miss.) came back from an early deficit and tied the game just 73 seconds in the second half then secured the lead with a goal from Tim Doherty in 85th minute.
- Georgia Gwinnet earned a dramatic victory scoring the game winning goal with 67 seconds left in the game over Life (Ga.).
- No. 21 UNOH upsets No. 12 Bethel (Tenn.) 1-0 to advance on the final site December 2nd.
- The Missouri Valley Vikings scored early and led throughout to earn a 3-1 victory over St. Thomas (Fla.).
- Two of the 15 games were in overtime or penalty kicks. Including UC Merced (Calif.) and Hastings (Neb.).
- Hastings (Neb.) tied William Penn 2-2 sending the match to penalty kicks. Mateo Cuartas came up with a huge save in the third set which set up the fourth set opportunity for Tyrone Madhani to make his shot to give the Broncos the victory, sending them to California.
- UC Merced (Calif.) also battled in extra minutes. The Bobcats came to a 1-1 draw after 110 minutes and then stepped to the penalty stripe and converted six straight kicks to edge Corban University, 1-1 (6-5).
- Eleven hosts advanced to the final site: Baker (Kan.), Oklahoma Wesleyan, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.), Columbia (Mo.), Central Methodist (Mo.), William Carey (Miss.), Georgia Gwinnett, University of Northwestern Ohio, Missouri Valley (Mo.), Rio Grande (Ohio), Spring Arbor (Mich.).