2015-16 NAIA Men?s Swimming & Diving Coaches? Poll ? No. 1 (Dec. 10)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – SCAD Savannah (Ga.) takes over the No. 1 ranking in 2015-16 Men’s Swimming & Diving Coaches’ Poll, the national office announced Thursday. This is the first time the Bees have held a No. 1 ranking.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2002-03):
• SCAD Savannah grabbed three-out-of-the-five first place votes and 60 total points. The Bees most recent meet held in Savannah (Ga.) at the SCAD Invitational, resulted in four first place relay finishes, (4x50 yard free, 4x100 yard free, 4x50 yard medley, 4x100 yard medley), which landed the team a first place finish, totaling 1188 points.
• Junior Joel Ax returns for the Bees to defend his national championship title in the 1650-yard freestyle. In his recent meet, Ax owned top times in the four events he participated in, including the 100 free, which was .46 seconds away from breaking the school record originally set by Partick Cardillo (44.31) in 2013.
• Behind SCAD Savannah by only one point, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) takes the No. 2 ranking, receiving 2 - 5 first place votes and 59 total points. Defending champion in the 200-yard Butterfly, Frank Tapia looks to defend his title this season.
• In their most recent event, the Tigers owned top times in three of the five relays (200, 400 Medley and 200 Free Relay). Freshman Daniil Kuzmin had the only top time for the team in the 200 IM, (1:53.73). Senior Calvin Price finished second in the 200-yard breast with a time of 2:05.66, .24 seconds behind first place.
• The rest of the top five includes: No. 3 West Virginia Tech, No. 4 Cumberlands (Ky.) and No. 5 Wayland Baptist (Texas).
• Top 10 team ratings will be recommended to the NAIA Sports Information Department by a Presidential committee.
• Top 10 team ratings are conducted by a committee of NAIA Swimming and Diving coaches three times during the season.
• The committee will use the most current “top times” as the primary source of ranking.
2015-16 NAIA Men's Swimming & Diving Coaches' Postseason Poll
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1st Place Votes)||Total Points|
|1||3||SCAD Savannah (Ga.) (3)||60|
|2||2||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) (2)||59|
|3||9||West Virginia Tech||48|
|5||8||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||39|
|7||5||St. Andrews (N.C.)||18|
|8||NR||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||17|