2016 NAIA Men?s Tennis Coaches? Top 25 Poll ? No. 5 (April 12)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Georgia Gwinnett continues its reign atop the poll for the fifth-straight time in the fifth regular-season edition of the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The sixth regular-season poll will be released April 26.
Top 25 Highlights
• Georgia Gwinnett earns the No. 1 ranking after capturing all 13 first-place votes and 343 total points.
• The Grizzlies have been dominant throughout the season with a perfect record (19-0) and the only team to have zero losses in the Top 25.
• Georgia Gwinnett’s six most recent wins come from beating NCAA Division II and III schools including, NCAA Division II No. 1 Hawaii Pacific, 5-3, on April 10.
• No. 2 Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) has locked down in the No. 2 position for the last four polls, never more than 16 total points behind Georgia Gwinnett.
• The Warhawks are 14-4 on the season, picking up six wins since the last installment with three victories coming against Top 25 schools.
• No. 17 Mobile (Ala.) sees the biggest jump in the poll, moving up eight spots with an impressive win against then-No. 16 Middle Georgia State, 5-4, on April 2.
• No. 16 Westmont (Calif.) has the largest drop in the poll, falling eight spots.
• Eleven teams stayed in the same ranking for the last two polls.
• Five teams have reached double-digit wins on the season as Georgia Gwinnett leads the group with 19 wins. Aquinas (Mich.) is second with 17.
• There are no new teams in this installment of the Top 25.
• Ten conferences/Association of Independent Institutions/unaffiliated groups are represented throughout the Top 25, led by five programs from the Southern States Athletic Conference. The Sun Conference and Golden State Athletic Conference are second with three teams mentioned each.
• No. 13 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) has been ranked 120 times throughout 17 seasons, Auburn Montgomery is second with 118 rankings and Webber International (Fla.) in third with 103.
• Georgia Gwinnett (2015), Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) (2009, 08, 07) Fresno Pacific (Calif.) (2011, 10), Azusa Pacific (Calif.) (2006, 04) and Oklahoma City (2001, 00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• Auburn Montgomery has the most No. 1 rankings in the Top 25 (29), former-member Azusa Pacific (Calif.) and Fresno Pacific (Calif.) are second with 23 each.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions. For the entire 2015 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll schedule, click here.
2016 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 5 (April 12)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL (1st place votes)||WIN/LOSS||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Georgia Gwinnett (13)||19-0||343|
|2||2||Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)||14-4||331|
|5||5||Dalton State (Ga.)||15-4||299|
|7||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||11-3||276|
|9||11||San Diego Christian (Calif.)||9-3||253|
|10||10||William Carey (Miss.)||11-6||248|
|13||20||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||9-7||209|
|14||14||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||7-1||206|
|19||18||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||6-2||145|
|20||16||Middle Georgia State||11-8||143|
Dropped from the Top 25: none
Receiving Votes: Tennessee Wesleyan 56, Pikeville (Ky.) 44, Southeastern (Fla.) 42, Baker (Kan.) 27, Lawrence Tech (Mich.) 27, Indiana Wesleyan 10, Cumberlands (Ky.) 10, Loyola (La.) 6, Missouri Baptist 5
^ Ranking based off the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 4 (March 29)