2016 NAIA Men?s Tennis Coaches? Top 25 Poll ? Final (May 9)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Georgia Gwinnett sits atop the leader board for the eighth-consecutive week in the final regular-season edition of the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Monday. The official list of national championship qualifiers will be announced at 5 p.m. CDT today.
Top 25 Highlights
• Georgia Gwinnett earns the No. 1 ranking after capturing all 13 first-place votes and 343 total points.
• The Grizzlies have earned every first-place vote this season, along with a perfect record (22-0).
• No. 2 Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) has held the second spot in the last six Top 25 Polls, falling only once to No. 5 in the first regular-season edition.
• The Warhawks are 18-4 on the season after picking up its 12th-consecutive Southern States Athletic Conference tournament championship. Auburn Montgomery swept No. 1-seeded Dalton State (Ga.), 5-0.
• No. 15 McPherson (Kan.) sees the biggest jump in the poll, moving up five spots after clinching the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament championship, beating No. 19 Bethany (Kan.), 5-3.
• Bethany had the most significant drop in the poll, falling three spots.
• Eleven teams stayed in the same ranking since last time.
• No. 24 Tennessee Wesleyan and Indiana Southeast are newcomers to the Top 25 Poll. Tennessee Wesleyan last saw Top 25 action on Feb. 16 and Indiana Southeast on March 23, 2007.
• Asbury (Ky.) fell out of the Top 25.
• Nine conferences/Association of Independent Institutions/unaffiliated groups are represented throughout the Top 25, led by six programs from the Southern States Athletic Conference. The Mid-South Conference is second with four teams mentioned.
• No. 13 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) has been ranked 122 times throughout 17 seasons, Auburn Montgomery is second with 120 rankings and Webber International (Fla.) in third with 103.
• Georgia Gwinnett (2015), Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) (2009, 08, 07) Fresno Pacific (Calif.) (2011, 10), Azusa Pacific (Calif.) (2006, 04) and Oklahoma City (2001, 00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• Auburn Montgomery has the most No. 1 rankings (29). Former-member Azusa Pacific (Calif.) and Fresno Pacific (Calif.) are second with 23 each.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions. For the entire 2015 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll schedule, click here.
2016 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Final (May 9)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL (1st place votes)||WON||LOST||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Georgia Gwinnett (13)||22||0||343|
|2||2||Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)||18||4||331|
|5||5||Dalton State (Ga.)||17||5||299|
|7||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||14||3||277|
|9||10||William Carey (Miss.)||12||7||255|
|11||12||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||16||7||228|
|12||12||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||11||9||224|
|16||18||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||16||8||168|
|21||21||Middle Georgia State||11||9||129|
Dropped from the Top 25: Asbury (Ky.)
Receiving Votes: Marian (Ind.) 52, Missouri Baptist 50, Southeastern (Fla.) 34, Cumberland (Tenn.) 31, Asbury (Ky.) 28, Indiana Tech 12, Baker (Kan.) 10, Biola (Calif.) 10, Loyola (La.) 7, Davenport (Mich.) 5, Martin Methodist (Tenn.) 3, Indiana Wesleyan 3
^ Ranking based off the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 6 (April 25)