2019 NAIA Men's Tennis Preseason Coaches' Top 25 Poll
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – To the surprise of no one, Georgia Gwinnett begins the 2019 campaign atop the NAIA Men’s Tennis Preseason Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. The Grizzlies, winners of five-consecutive national titles, received all 14 first-place votes.
Top 25 Highlights
- Georgia Gwinnett is atop the poll for the 38th-straight time and
arecoming off a perfect 2018 season in which the team went 27-0.
- The Grizzlies are in the midst of an 82-match winning streak, which remains the longest active winning streak in all levels of college sports.
- The preseason poll looks almost identical to the final poll of the 2018 season, with the top 13 teams in that poll maintaining the same ranking in this poll.
- New to the poll – compared to the final poll of 2018 – is Marian (Ind.) at No. 23.
- No. 3 Xavier (La.) extends the longest consecutively-active streak in the poll with 96 straight appearances. Westmont, ranked 17th to start the season, is second with 82 straight polls.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• The frequency of polls occurs bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2017-18 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
• For the complete
2019 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll
|RANK||2018 FINAL||SCHOOL [1ST-PLACE VOTES]||2018 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Georgia Gwinnett ||27-0||374|
|4||4||William Carey (Miss.)||13-4||334|
|6||6||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||14-1||314|
|7||7||William Woods (Mo.)||16-7||302|
|10||10||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||16-4||270|
|13||13||Middle Georgia State||12-8||232|
|18||18||San Diego Christian (Calif.)||8-8||164|
|20||20||Lawrence Tech (Mich.)||20-6||138|
Receiving Votes: Indiana Wesleyan 71, Texas A&M-Texarkana 49, Loyola (La.) 27, Ottawa (Kan.) 26, Missouri Valley 24, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) 17, St. Thomas (Fla.) 10, St. Francis (Ill.) 7, Midland (Neb.) 6, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) 5, Georgetown (Ky.) 4, Hastings (Neb.) 3, Southwestern (Kan.) 3
Make sure to download the Experience NAIA Championship App for updated news and information for the 2019 NAIA Division I and II Basketball Championships! Download the app HERE!