2017 Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week ? No. 5 (Feb. 15)
By Spencer Scheve, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Devan Sawyerr of MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) has been named the NAIA National Men's Indoor Track Athlete of The Week and Isaac Zitterkopf of MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) has been named the NAIA National Men's Indoor Field Athlete of The Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Sawyerr and Zitterkopf were selected based on their performances from Feb. 6 – 12. The sixth Men's Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week will be announced on Feb. 22.
Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Devan Sawyerr, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
Sr., Sacramento, Calif.
• Finished first in the 60-meter dash, 200-meter dash and the 400-meter dash on Feb. 11 at the Heart of America Athletic Conference Indoor Championships.
• Sawyerr ran an ‘A' standard 200m with a time of 22.05.
• Ran a time of 6.95 in the 60-m and recorded a 50.7 in the 400-m. Sawyerr scored 30 points to lead the Pioneers to the team championship for the first time since 2007.
Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Week:
Isaac Zitterkopf, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
So., Lexington, Neb.
• Placed second in the long jump, high jump and 4x400-meter relay and third in the triple jump at the Heart of America Athletic Conference Indoor Championships on Feb. 11.
• Zitterkopf hit the ‘A' standard in the long jump, high jump, and triple jump. He cleared 7.06m in the long jump, 2.07m in the high jump and 14.28, in the triple jump. Zitterkopf also ran the leg of the 4x400-meter relay.
• Zitterkopf scored 24 points and was named the field athlete of the meet.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: William Henry, Park (Mo.); Christian Herring, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Nic Maszk, Eastern Oregon; Matt East, Southern Oregon; Therron Randle, Northwest (Wash.); Alejandro Garcia, Robert Morris (Ill.); Brian Blaylock, St. Francis (Ill.); Matt Meehan, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Michael Ohioze, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Presley Martin, Marian (Ind.); Daniel Garza, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Andy Herbert, Bethel (Ind.); Caleb Anthony, Taylor (Ind.); Chance Hyatt, Carroll (Mont.); Conor McGee, Great Falls (Mont.); Isaac Petsch, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Bradey Wilson, Montana Western; Lucas Wiechman, Concordia (Neb.); Alan Varela, Doane (Neb.); Sam Wensink, Dordt (Iowa); Aaron Lemon, Northwestern (Iowa); Drew Gandy, Central Methodist (Mo.); Tony Weber, Saint Mary (Kan.); Adam Sandidge, Campbellsville (Ky.); Seth Farmer, Shawnee State (Ohio); Jose Chorro, Dickinson State (N.D.); Mark Moeller, Dakota State (S.D.); Nic Ganzeveld, Waldorf (Iowa); Tory Doby, Point Park (Pa.); Seth Reynolds, Indiana East; Douglas Negrete, WVU Tech; Tre Hinds, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Geoffrey Kipchumba, William Carey (Miss.); Edens Thermidor, Keiser (Fla.); Jordan Clarke, Webber International (Fla.); Qadir Muhammad, Indiana Tech; Brent Rodden, Siena Heights (Mich.); Tony Floyd, Madonna (Mich.); Matt Jutte, Lourdes (Ohio)
2016-17 Men's Indoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (January 18): Seth Sabata, Midland (Neb.) , Colin De Young, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Week 2 (January 25): Cody Boellstorff, Concordia (Neb.) , Kejavon Moore, Indiana Tech
Week 3 (February 1): Zach Brittain, Doane (Neb.) , Jackson Thomas, Bacone (Okla.)
Week 4 (February 8): Curtis Bell, Aquinas (Mich.) , Mason Held, York (Neb.)
Week 5 (February 15): Isaac Zitterkopf, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) , Devan Sawyerr, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)