2017 NAIA Men's Volleyball Coaches' Top 10 Poll - Final (April 9)
By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – For the sixth time this season, the Vikings of Grand View (Iowa) claim the top spot in the 2017 NAIA Men’s Volleyball Coaches’ Top 10 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. Now boastings a 22-3 overall record, the Vikings won the Heart of America Athletic Conference tournament to earn an automatic berth to the National Invitational. Grand View earned all first-place votes and 00 total points to end the regular-season at No. 1. The National Invitational eight-team field will be announced before 5 p.m. CDT April 9 on NAIA.org.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the five conferences and Unaffiliated Groups. There are 10 total raters, with two each representing five conferences and Unaffiliated Groups. There is one ballot submitted by each of the five conferences and Unaffiliated Groups (total of five) and two ballots submitted by each of the five conferences and Unaffiliated Groups (total of 10).
• The Top 10 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 12 points for each first-place vote, 11 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• Frequency of polls occur bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
• The sport of Men’s Volleyball is in the second year of National Invitational status. For more information on sport status, click here.
• For the complete Top 10 calendar, click here.
NAIA Men’s Volleyball Coaches’ Top 10 Poll | Final | April 9
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2017 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa) (10)||22-3||106|
|7||10||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||27-7||58|
|9||7||Robert Morris (Ill.)||26-8||42|
Dropped From Rankings: None
Others Receiving Votes: Siena Heights (Mich.) 22; Culver-Stockton (Mo.) 10; St. Ambrose (Iowa) 10