NAIA National Wrestler of the Week ? No. 3
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Toby Cheff of Montana State-Northern has been named the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. He was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 12 – 18.
National Wrestler of the Week
Toby Cheff, Montana State-Northern
285-pound, Jr., Ronan, Mont.
• Recorded a 5-0 record, including three pins, en route to the 285-pound title at the Missouri Valley College Invite Jan. 16 – 17 in Marshall, Mo.
• Pinned top-ranked Gabi Musallam of Missouri Valley in 5:12 in the semifinals to advance to the title bout.
• In the championship match, he secured a 3-1 win over No. 9 Daniel Mueller of Missouri Valley.
• Also stuck Jacob LaRue of Benedictine (Kan.) (1:08) and George Portillo of Northwestern (Iowa) (5:00) at the tournament.
• Collects first weekly award of his career.
• Last Montana State-Northern Wrestler of the Week: Cameron Neiss (Feb. 20, 2013)
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Sterling Terry, Midland (Neb.); Steadman Wang, Hastings (Neb.); Tyree Cox, Northwestern (Iowa); Kyle Gerlach, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Nate Taylor, Morningside (Iowa); Bryce Shoemaker, Baker (Kan.); Jake Ekster, Missouri Valley; Cartland Allen, Graceland (Iowa); Jake Sinkovics, Cumberlands (Ky.); Keaton Thomas, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Jake Williams, Cumberland (Tenn.).
2015 Wrestling Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 7): Joshua Crager, Warner Pacific (Ore.)
Week 2 (Jan. 14): Michael Pixley, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (Jan. 21): Toby Cheff, Montana State-Northern