NAIA Wrestling Coaches? Preseason Top 20 Poll
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Grand View (Iowa) claims the No. 1 ranking in the preseason edition of the NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll, the national office announced Wednesday. The first regular-season installment will be released on Wednesday, Nov. 18.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000-01)
• Four-time defending national champion Grand View (Iowa) earns its 24th-straight No. 1 ranking with 113.5 points. The Vikings, who do not have a top-ranked individual in the preseason poll, have 11 individuals ranked in this edition. Grand View opens its season on Nov. 7 with the Grand View Open.
• Grand View boasts 29 all-time No. 1 rankings, which is second to former member Lindenwood’s (Mo.) 39 dating back to 2000-01.
• Jacob Colon (133), a 2015 All-American at 133-pounds, is the highest ranked individual for the Vikings, checking in as the preseason No. 2 at 133.
• No. 2 Oklahoma City garners its highest ranking since landing at No. 3 on Nov. 15, 2007. The Stars boast the most top-ranked individuals with three – Zach Skates (157 pounds), Ricky McCarty (165 pounds) and Derek Sivertsen (184 pounds). McCarty enters the year as the defending national champion, while the other two earned All-America honors a season ago.
• Outside of Oklahoma City, No. 4 Missouri Valley is the only other club to boast more than one top-ranked individual – Jake Ekster (149 pounds) and Gabi Musallam (285 pounds). Musallam won his first-ever national title last season, while Ekster finished runner-up
• Four new teams joined the Top 20: No. 9 Simpson (Calif.), No. 11 York (Neb.); No. 18 Doane (Neb.) and No. 19 Wayland Baptist (Texas). The Tigers are ranked for the first time in program history, while the other three programs were ranked at some point during the 2014-15 season.
• Twenty-six different programs were ranked last season.
• Since 2001, only Grand View (2013-14, 2014-15), former member Notre Dame (Ohio) (2010-11) and Lindenwood (2006-07) have spent the entire season ranked No. 1.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the six national qualifying groups.
• One day prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his geographic area into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a qualifying group ballot are considered for the national ballot.
• The top 16 individuals in each weight class is based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first place vote, 18 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
• For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2015-16 NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Preseason Top 20 Poll (October 21)
|Rank||Previous Rank||School||Total Team Points|
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa)||113.5|
|6||3||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||63.5|
|T14||11||Dickinson State (N.D.)||33|
|16||4||Great Falls (Mont.)||31.5|
|19||RV||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||26|
Others receiving votes: Ottawa (Kan.) 21; William Penn (Iowa) 18.5; Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 18.5; Benedictine (Kan.) 18; Jamestown (N.D.) 18; Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) 17; Briar Cliff (Iowa) 16.5; Morningside (Iowa) 16; Hastings (Neb.) 16; Missouri Baptist 14; Williams Baptist (Ark.) 13; Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) 12; Northwestern (Iowa) 11.5; Baker (Kan.) 7; St. Andrews (N.C.) 6.5; Davenport (Mich.) 4; Graceland (Iowa) 2; Bethany (Kan.) 2; Lyon (Ark.) 1.5; Brewton-Parker (Ga.) 1.
Top-Ranked Individuals | Individual Rankings
125 – Jake Sinkovics, Cumberlands (Ky.)
133 – Davion Caston, Campbellsville (Ky.)
141 – Daniel Leonard, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
149 – Jake Ekster, Missouri Valley
157 – Zach Skates, Oklahoma City
165 – Ricky McCarty, Oklahoma City
174 – Tyler McMichael, Midland (Neb.)
184 – Derek Sivertsen, Oklahoma City
197 – Garrett DeMers, Montana State-Northern
285 – Gabi Musallam, Missouri Valley