NAIA Wrestling Coaches? Top 20 Poll ? No. 5
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Grand View (Iowa) locks down the No. 1 ranking in the fifth regular-season edition of the NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll, the national office announced Wednesday. The final regular-season edition will be released on Feb. 24.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000-01)
• Grand View (Iowa) pushes its top-ranked streak to 29-straight polls after receiving 190 points in this edition. The Vikings, who were last not ranked No. 1 on Oct. 17, 2012, have held the top-spot 34 times since the start of the 2000-01 season. Former member Lindenwood (Mo.) holds the record for most No. 1 appearances during that time with 39.
• Grand View boasts 12 ranked individuals, all of which are ranked no lower than No. 6 in their respective weight class. Godwin Cutler (133 pounds), Andrew Long (149 pounds), Grand Henderson (157 pounds) and Michael Pixley (184 pounds) are the top-ranked individuals for Grand View.
• Missouri Valley jumped three spots this edition from No. 5 to No. 2. The Vikings are represented by 10 individuals in the poll, including top ranked Jake Ekster (tied at 141 pounds), Riley Boomer (174 pounds) and Gabi Musallam (285 pounds).
• Boomer and Ekster are both new No.1s this week. Boomer is 23-2 on the year, including an 8-0 major decision win over No. 4 Lawton Benna of Grand View (Iowa) on Jan. 30. The match was part of the inaugural Heart of America Athletic Conference Duals Championship. Ekster had previously held the No. 1 ranking at 149 pounds on Dec. 30.
• Grand View and Missouri Valley are the only teams with more than one No. 1 individual.
• No. 3 Montana State-Northern (89.5 points), No. 4 Oklahoma City (87 points) and No. 5 Indiana Tech (69.5 points) round out the top five.
• Adrian Gaines of Oklahoma City – the No. 1 ranked wrestler at 125 pounds – continues to be dominant this season. He owns a 17-0 record, including a 12-0 mark against NAIA opponents. Eight of Gaines’ last nine matches have been won by fall or technical fall.
• No new teams joined the Top 20 this installment.
• Since 2001, only Grand View (2013-14, 2014-15), former members Notre Dame (Ohio) (2010-11) and Lindenwood (2006-07) have spent the entire season ranked No. 1.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the six national qualifying groups.
• One day prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his geographic area into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a qualifying group ballot are considered for the national ballot.
• The top 16 individuals in each weight class is based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first place vote, 18 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
• For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
|Rank||Previous Rank||School||Total Team Points|
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa)||190|
|9||11||Williams Baptist (Ark.)||41.5|
|11||9||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||39|
|13||14||Great Falls (Mont.)||33.5|
|14||15||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||33|
|T15||16||Dickinson State (N.D.)||30|
|20||20||Warner Pacific (Ore.)||21|
Dropped from the Top 20: Doane (Neb.) (No. 20 – tied)
Others receiving votes: Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 20; Cumberland (Tenn.) 20; Northwestern (Iowa) 19.5; Doane (Neb.) 18; Missouri Baptist 16; Lyon (Ark.) 13.5; Briar Cliff (Iowa) 12; Benedictine (Kan.) 12; Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) 12; Jamestown (N.D.) 8; Morningside (Iowa) 7; Cumberlands (Ky.) 5.5; St. Catharine (Ky.) 5.5; Southeastern (Fla.) 4.5; Ottawa (Kan.) 3.5; St. Andrews (N.C.) 2.5; Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) 2; Brewton-Parker (Ga.) 1.5; Bethany (Kan.) 1.5; Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) 1
Top-Ranked Individuals | Individual Rankings
125 – Adrian Gaines, Oklahoma City
133 – Godwin Cutler, Grand View (Iowa)
141 – Jake Ekster, Missouri Valley / Andrew Schulte, Concordia (Neb.)
149 – Andrew Long, Grand View (Iowa)
157 – Grant Henderson, Grand View (Iowa)
165 – Blake Cooper, Warner Pacific (Ore.)
174 – Riley Boomer, Missouri Valley
184 – Michael Pixley, Grand View (Iowa)
197 – Garrett DeMers, Montana State-Northern
285 – Gabi Musallam, Missouri Valley