NAIA Wrestling Coaches' Top 20 Poll ? Final
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – For the 44th-straight time, Grand View (Iowa) holds the No. 1 ranking in the NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll, the national office announced Wednesday. This installment marks the final rating for the 2017-18 season. The postseason edition will be released on March 9.
Top 20 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000-01)
• Grand View (Iowa), which is in the No. 1 spot for the 48th time in program history, garnered 197 points via 12 ranked wrestlers.
• Five Vikings are listed atop their respective weight class – Josh Wenger (141 pounds), Grant Henderson (165 pounds), Lawton Benna (174 pounds), Evan Hansen (197 pounds) and Dean Broghammer (285 pounds).
• Only one of the ranked Grand View grapplers is listed outside of the top 10.
• Wenger and Cam Tessari (149 pounds) each slid down a weight class since the January 17 edition, however, both individuals held the No. 1 ranking.
• Nosomy Pozo of Life (Ga.) is the lone new top-ranked individual at 157 pounds. The senior is 20-1 on the season with his only loss being a 9-7 decision against Wenger.
• No. 16 Hastings (Neb.), No. 17 Northwestern (Iowa) and No. 19 Cumberland (Tenn.) are the three newcomers to the Top 20.
• Since 2001, only Grand View (2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17), former members Notre Dame (Ohio) (2010-11) and Lindenwood (Mo.) (2006-07) have spent the entire season ranked No. 1.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the eight conferences.
• Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
• The top 20 individuals in each weight class are based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first-place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
• The postseason poll is determined using the individual and team results from the national championship
• For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2017-18 NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Top 20 Poll – Final (February 7, 2018)
|Rank||Previous Rank||School||Total Team Points|
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa)||197|
|3||3||Williams Baptist (Ark.)||132|
|5||9||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||104|
Others receiving votes: Reinhardt (Ga.) 36; Eastern Oregon 33; Oklahoma City 32; Dickinson State (N.D.) 28; Concordia (Neb.) 25; Benedictine (Kan.) 24; Doane (Neb.) 22; Warner Pacific (Ore.) 20; Waldorf (Iowa) 17; William Penn (Iowa) 16; Lyon (Ark.) 15; Bethany (Kan.) 15; Graceland (Iowa) 14; Marian (Ind.) 13; Saint Mary (Kan.) 12; York (Neb.) 12; Briar Cliff (Iowa) 11; Kansas Wesleyan 11; Missouri Baptist 11; Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) 8; Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.); St. Andrews (N.C.) 7; Brewton-Parker (Ga.) 6; Lourdes (Ohio) 6; Bacone (Okla.) 6; Calumet (Ind.) 5; Wayland Baptist (Texas) 5; Jamestown (N.D.) 4; Allen (S.C.) 3; Ottawa (Kan.) 2.
Top Ranked Individuals | Individual Rankings
125 – Hayden Lee, Cumberlands (Ky.)
133 – Jake Sinkovics, Cumberlands (Ky.)
141 – Josh Wenger, Grand View (Iowa)
149 – Cam Tessari, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
157 – Nosomy Pozo, Life (Ga.)
165 – Grant Henderson, Grand View (Iowa)
174 – Lawton Benna, Grand View (Iowa)
184 – Cameron Jones, Cumberlands (Ky.)
197 – Evan Hansen, Grand View (Iowa)
285 – Dean Broghammer, Grand View (Iowa)