NAIA Division I Women?s Basketball Player of the Week ? No. 1
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Ajha Edwards of Montana State-Northern has been named the NAIA National Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Edwards, who is the first selection of the 2014-15 season, was chosen based on her performances from Dec. 29 – Jan. 4. She was chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Player of the Week
6-5, Fr., C, Sierra Vista, Ariz.
• Despite playing only 20 minutes due to foul trouble, Edwards tallied 12 points and 15 rebounds – both team-highs – in the Lights’ 63-58 overtime loss to Northwestern (Iowa) on Dec. 30.
• Recorded 24 points and a program single-game record 25 rebounds in Montana State-Northern’s 79-59 win at Northwood (Fla.) on Dec. 31. The old program record of 22 boards – set by Barb Vandermars – had stood since 1982.
• Edwards’ 25 rebounds against the Seahawks is also the top individual single-game performance to this point of the 2014-15 season.
• Averaged 18.0 points, 20.0 rebounds and 1.0 steals for the week.
• Shot 57.1 percent (16-of-28) from the field.
• Ranks among the top 10 nationally in defensive rebounds per game (8.4), total rebounds (185), rebounds per game (11.6), field goal percentage (59.5 percent) and total scoring (256).
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Courtney Bayliss, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Mia Wesley, Harris-Stowe State (Mo.); Shavon Robinson, Shawnee State (Ohio); Tajanee Wells, Talladega (Ala.); Michaela Brinkley, Avila (Mo.); Riley Holsinger, Vanguard (Calif.); Kenyatta Drake, Bethel (Tenn.); Ashlee Ferguson, Mid-America Christian (Okla.).
2014-15 Division I Women’s Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 6): Ajha Edwards, Montana State-Northern